Ali Marie is a postdoctoral researcher in Korsunsky Group, working on project devoted to the study of human dental caries that proceeds by acid-producing bacterial activity leading to demineralisation of enamel and dentine. His current work is focused on using state of art nano-characterisation techniques for the analysis of dental enamel demilitarisation and remineralisation processes, focusing on development of novel approach to tackle dental caries.
He also works on the characterisation and analysis of secondary caries. During his PhD at University of Leeds, Ali worked on the development and characterisation of novel fluorapatite dental implant coatings. Ali was graduated as dentist in 2006, completed his Master degree in Prosthetic Dentistry in 2011 from University of Mosul, before pursing his PhD studies. Since September 2019 he has been working as post doctoral research assistant at the Department of Engineering Science. His research interests also include digital dentistry, in-situ mechanical characterisation of dental prosthesis, public engagement with research.
- Biomimetic remineralisation of dental enamel
- Nano-characterisation of dental caries
- Development and characterisation of apatite for bio-mineralisation
- Development and characterisation of novel dental implants coating
- 3D printing and digital application in dentistry
- Public engagement with research
- Altaie A., Bubb N., Franklin P., German M.J., Marie A. and Wood D.J. Development and characterisation of dental composites containing anisotropic fluorapatite bundles and rods. Dental Materials, (In-Press).
- Marie A.K., Keeling A., Hyde T.P., Nattress B., Pavitt S., Murphy R., Shary T., Dillon S, Osnes C., Wood D. Deformation and retentive force following in vitro cyclic fatigue of cobalt-chrome and Aryl Ketone Polymer (AKP) clasps. Dental Materials, Vol. 35(6), 113-121.
- Marie A.K., Katsikogianni M., Do T., Wood D.J. Physicochemical, Mechanical and Antibacterial Properties of Hydroxyapatite and Fluorapatite Coatings. IADR/AADR/CADR General Session & Exhibition in London, UK, July 25-28, 2018.
- Osnes C., Marie A.K., S. Dillon, D.J. Wood D.J., Hyde T., Nattress B., Keeling A. Clasp Deformation: CoCr and Ultaire™ AKP Clasps Following Cyclical Loading. IADR/AADR/CADR General Session & Exhibition in London, UK, July 25-28, 2018.
- Marie A.K., Alhilou A., Katsikogianni M., Do T., Wood D.J. Hydrothermal Synthesis and Physicochemical Analysis of Fluroapatite and Hydroxyapatite Coatings. British Society for Oral and Dental Research (BSODR) Annual Scientific Meeting, Plymouth, UK, 6-8th September 2017.
- Marie A.K., Alhilou A., Katsikogianni M., Do T., Wood D.J. Effect of Sintering on Physicochemical, Mechanical and Antibacterial Properties of Fluorapatite Dental Implant Coatings. ITI World Symposium 2017, Basel, Switzerland, May 4-6, 2017
- Marie A.K., Katsikogianni M., Do T., Wood D.J. Physicochemical Properties and Stability of Sintered Fluoroapatite Coatings for Dental Implant Applications. LIMM PGR Symposium, 21 April 2017, Leeds, UK.
- Marie A.K., Katsikogianni M., Do T., Wood D.J. Sintered Fluoroapatite Coatings on Titanium; Physicochemical Properties and Degradation Profile. IADR/AADR/CADR General Session & Exhibition in San Francisco, CA, USA, March 22-25, 2017.
- Marie A.K., Katsikogianni M., Do T., Wood D. (2016): Titanium Surface Pre-Treatments for Fluorapatite Coatings, Conference: School of Dentistry Research Day, 11 July 2016, Leeds, UK (Abstract).
- Marie A.K., Katsikogianni M., Do T., Wood D. (2016): Titanium Surface Treatments Affect Hydrothermal Deposition of Fluorapatite Coatings, Conference: IADR/AADR/CADR General Session, Seoul, June 22-25, 2016, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Marie A.K., Katsikogianni M., Grant C., Do T., Wood D. (2015): Physicochemical and Nano-mechanical Analysis of Fluoroapatite Coatings, Conference: IADR/AADR/CADR General Session, Boston, March 11-14, 2015, At Boston, Mass., USA.
- Petronela Buiga, AKH Marie (2014): Parents awareness of the first permanent molar. Zagreb International Medical Summit, Zagreb, Croatia, 20- 23 November 2014 (Abstract).
- Marie AKh and Hatim NA,. (2013): Incorporation of Oil Extracts as Antifungal into Soft-Liner, J Dent Res 92 (Spec Iss A): 998 (Abstract).
Grants and Awards
- 2020 - Public Engagement with Research Seed Fund, University of Oxford, UK. Project: "Engineering a Great Smile".
- 2017 - COST Action TD1305 - iPROMEDAI Young Scientist Meeting, Thessaloniki, Greece. Travel grant.
- 2017 - MeDe Early Career Researchers: PhD Student Secondment Scheme grants 2017. Research placement grant at University of Bradford, Bradford, United Kingdom.
- 2015 - COST Action TD1305 - iPROMEDAI Summer School, Amsterdam Medical Centre and University of Groningen, The Netherlands. Summer school grant.
- IADR Implantology Research Group, Young Investigators Awards 2016, 2nd place for Basic Research.