Dr. Sun completed his M.Eng and B.Eng degrees from Fudan University in Shanghai China. He received his DPhil degree from University of Oxford at 2016, where he completed his DPhil research study by using only two years. He then undertook a 9-month research in Institute of Photonic Technologies before joining Morgan Stanley working as a quantitative strategist for three years.
He decided to pursue his academic dream in 2019, when he quitted his position as well as a promotion in Morgan Stanley, and joined HHMI Janelia research campus conducting research in super-resolution microscope. He joined back to Prof. Booth’s group in 2020 following the desire to conduct research in high-impact new frontiers.
Dr. Sun’s current research is applying advanced adaptive optics laser microfabrication to various important applications such as quantum physics, electronic-photonic circuits, topological photonics, advanced nano-materials and microscopic imaging etc. Most recent research is 3D low-loss waveguide arrays for quantum & optical computing, topological photonics.
1. Bangshan Sun, Patrick S Salter, Clemens Roider, Alexander Jesacher, Johannes Strauss, Johannes Heberle, Michael Schmidt, and Martin J Booth, “Four-dimensional light shaping: manipulating ultrafast spatio-temporal foci in space and time,” (Nature) Light: Science & Applications, 7, 17117, 2018.
2. Bangshan Sun, Patrick S. Salter, and Martin J. Booth, “Pulse front adaptive optics: a new method for control of ultrashort laser pulses,” Opt. Express, vol. 23, no. 15, p. 19348, 2015.
3. Bangshan Sun, Patrick S. Salter, and Martin J. Booth, “Pulse front adaptive optics in two-photon microscopy,” Opt. Lett., vol. 40, no. 21, p. 4999-5002, 2015.
4. Bangshan Sun, Patrick S. Salter, and Martin J. Booth, “Effects of sample dispersion on ultrafast laser focusing,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, vol. 32, no. 7, p. 1272-1280, 2015.
5. Bangshan Sun, Patrick S. Salter, and Martin J. Booth, “High conductivity micro-wires in diamond following arbitrary paths,” Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 105, p. 231105, 2014.
6. Bangshan Sun, Patrick S. Salter, and Martin J. Booth, “Effects of aberrations in spatiotemporal focusing of ultrashort laser pulses,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, vol. 31, no. 4, p. 765, 2014.
7. Xiao-Li Tang, Yi Jiang, Bangshan Sun, Jian Chen, Xiao-Song Zhu, and Yi-Wei Shi, “Elliptical hollow fiber with inner silver coating for linearly polarized terahertz transmission”, IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett., vol. 25 p. 331-334, 2013.
8. Xuan Zeng, Bing-Hong Liu, Yu-Jing He, Bangshan Sun, Katsumasa Iwai, and Yi-Wei Shi, “Low-loss AgI/Ag hollow fibers for laser light delivery in the near-infrared region”, Opt. Laser Technol., vol. 49, p. 209-212, 2013.
9. Bangshan Sun, Xiao-Li Tang, Xuan Zeng, and Yi-Wei Shi, “Characterization of cylindrical THz metallic hollow waveguide with multiple dielectric layers”, Appl. Opt., vol. 51, no. 30, p. 7276-7285, 2012,.
10. Bangshan Sun, Xiao-Li Tang, Yi-Wei Shi, Katsumasa Iwai, and Mitsunobu Miyagi, “Optimal design for hollow fiber inner-coated by dielectric layers with surface roughness”, Opt. Lett., vol. 36, no. 17, p. 3461-3463, 2011.
11. Bangshan Sun, Xuan Zeng, Katsumasa Iwai, Mitsunobu Miyagi, Nan Chi, Yi-Wei Shi, “Experimental investigation on liquid-phase fabrication techniques for multilayer infrared hollow fiber”, Opt. Fiber Technol., vol. 17, p. 281–285, 2011.
12. Xiao-Li Tang, Bangshan Sun, and Yi-Wei Shi, “Design and optimization of low-loss high-birefringence hollow fiber at terahertz frequency”, Opt. Express, vol. 19, no. 25, p. 24967-24979, 2011.
Awards and Prizes
- 2015 “Outstanding Student Paper Award (Oral)” (best talk) on LAMP 2015 conference
- 2015 “Charles Green Award” from Jesus College, University of Oxford
- 2013 SPIE Optics and Photonics Education Scholarship (one of eight winners in China)
- 2012 China Graduate National Scholarship (China’s most prestigious scholarship, rank 1st/80)
- 2012 Kwang-Hua Scholarship (the most prestigious scholarship of Fudan University)
- 2011 SNDA Scholarship (the top one winner in my school, 1st /1000+)
- 2010-2013 First Prize Scholarship of Fudan University, winner in each year (1st/25)
- 2010 Outstanding graduate of Fudan University (Honored degree)