Carla is a qualified engineer with extensive international research experience in biomedical applications and wet lab techniques. She has a MSc in Nanotechnology for Medicine and Health Care (University of Oxford, 2019) an Undergraduate Degree in Engineering (Universidad Iberoamericana, 2016), and a Diploma in Epidemiology (U.N.A.M., 2016). She has worked in research projects in the Polymer Biotechnology Group at the Biological Research Centre (Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas) of the Spanish National Research Council (Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas) in Madrid, as well as the Tissue Engineering, Cell Therapy & Regenerative Medicine Unit of the Instituto Nacional de Rehabilitación in Mexico City.
Her DPhil (PhD) focuses on microvascular trauma and, as part of her current research, she is developing a bioartificial muscle model with a microvascular network. Carla carries out her work with the Tissue Engineering and the Mechanobiology groups, under the supervision of Prof Hua Ye and Prof Mark Thompson, respectively.
1. The Database of Experimental Biomaterials and their Biological Effect (DEBBIE) – an open access database of biomaterials, implants, and scientific literature designed to facilitate a more efficient access to the large literature in the biomaterials field and enable evidence-based material selection for medical application https://projectdebbie.github.io/
2. OxVent – a rapidly deployable and scalable low-cost mechanical ventilator for COVID-19 patients and low-resource settings https://oxvent.org/
Awards and prizes
- Engineer’s Collaborate to Innovate (C21) Awards, Healthcare & Medical: COVID response (2021, awarded to the OxVent team)
- I&T Innovation Awards - Small idea, Big impact: Global Challenge (2020, awarded to the OxVent team)
- President’s Special Awards for Pandemic Service Nominee (2020, nominated as part of the OxVent team)
- DPhil Scholarship, Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología (CONACYT; 2019 – 2023)
- 2019 – 2022 DPhil Funding, Bank of Mexico
- Scholarship, Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología – Estado de Puebla (CONACYT-CONCYTEP; 2016 – 2018)
- Highest University Exit exam scores and 1st Class Honours (2015)
- Environmental Positive Impact (2011)