Chia-Chen acquired her PhD in Materials (thesis: Biophysical Regulations in Neural Development) in 2018 at Imperial College London funded by Taiwan Top University Strategic Alliance – Imperial PhD Scholarship.
Before her PhD, she studied MRes in Bioengineering in 2013-2014 at Imperial College London and completed her bachelor study in Biomedical Engineering at National Yang-Ming University, Taiwan.
Awards and Achievements
- 2017 Poster Prize- the 3rd in FEBS Workshop – Biological Surfaces and Interfaces: Interface Dynamics
- 2013 – 2016 Taiwan Top University Strategic Alliance – Imperial PhD Scholarship
- 2013 Professor Guan-Liang Chang Memorial Award 2011 International Genetically Engineered Machine Competition (iGEM) - Gold Medal (Advanced to Championship Round at MIT)
Chia-Chen's research is focused on cell-biomaterial interfaces, stem cell differentiation, and development of tissue engineered scaffolds. She is particularly interested in the development of novel bioengineered platforms for treating neural diseases and translational studies for future clinical applications.
Current Research Projects
Fabricated hydrogel materials with hierarchical structures and biochemical cues for neural tissue engineering applications
- Hsu CC, Serio A, Amdursky N, Besnard C, Stevens MM. (2018) "Fabrication of Hemin-Doped Serum Albumin- Based Fibrous Scaffolds for Neural Tissue Engineering Applications." ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 10(6):5305-5317
- Wang ST, Lin Y, Hsu CC, Amdursky C, Spicer CD, Stevens MM. (2017) “Probing Amylin Fibrillation at an Early Stage via a Tetracysteine-Targeting Fluorophore.” Talanta, Vol: 173, Pages: 44-50
- Hsu CC*, George J*, Nguyen L, Cui Z, Ye H. (2018) “Neural Tissue Engineering with Structured Hydrogels in CNS Models and Therapies.” (submitted to Biotechnology Advances; co-first author)
- Gopal S, Chiappini C, Armstrong JPK, Chen Q, Serio A, Hsu CC, Rothery S, Stevens MM. “Immunogold FIB- SEM: combining volumetric ultrastructure visualization with 3D biomolecular analysis to dissect cell- environment interaction.” (submitted to Advanced Materials)
- Hsu CC*, Serio A*, Gopal S, Chiappini C, Stevens MM. “Biophysical Regulations of Epigenetic State and Notch Signalling in Neural Development using Microgroove Substrates.” (in preparation; co-first author)
- Chen YR, Gomez S, Hsu CC, Gelmi A, Wang HS, Lo CM. “Cross-linked Polypeptide Multilayer-coated Electrodes for Monitoring Cardiac Differentiation of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells.” (in preparation)