Emma graduated from Western University (Ontario, Canada) with a BSc in Medical Biophysics, where her undergraduate thesis focused on artefact reduction in functional MRI. Emma was a member of Dr. Arash Zarrine-Afsar’s lab at the University of Toronto, working on the development of mass spectrometry imaging coupled with surgical lasers for tumour research.
In 2017, Emma was awarded a Clarendon Scholarship from the University of Oxford to join the EPSRC & MRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Biomedical Imaging, which involves one year of interdisciplinary training and short research rotation projects. Emma’s first research rotation focused on machine learning for image analysis in the UK Biobank (with Prof. Mark Jenkinson and Dr. Ana Namburete). Emma’s PhD research with Prof. Daniel Bulte and Prof. Eleanor Stride focuses on MRI of oxygen carriers developed for treatment of hypoxic tumours, using a combination of mathematical modelling and phantom, preclinical, and clinical MRI.
Awards and Prizes
1. E Bluemke, E Stride, D Bulte. A general model to calculate the spin-lattice relaxation rate (R1) of blood, accounting for hematocrit, oxygen saturation, oxygen partial pressure, and magnetic field strength under hyperoxic conditions. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 2021. DOI:10.1002/jmri.27938
2. E Bluemke, E Stride, D Bulte. A simplified empirical model to estimate oxygen relaxivity at different magnetic fields. NMR in Biomedicine, 2021. DOI:10.1002/nbm.4625
3. J Owen, K Logan, H Nesbitt, A Able, A Vasilyeva, E Bluemke, V Kersemans, S Smart, K Vallis, AP McHale, JF Callan, E Stride. Orally administered oxygen nanobubbles enhance tumor response to sonodynamic therapy. Nano Select, 2021. DOI:10.1002/nano.202100038
4. NK Dinsdale*, E Bluemke*, S Smith, Z Arya, D Vidaurre, M Jenkinson, AIL Namburete.
Learning Patterns of the Ageing Brain in MRI using Deep Convolutional Networks. NeuroImage, 2021. *Indicates equal contributions. DOI:10.1016/j.neuroimage.2020.117401
5. E Bluemke*, D Bulte*, A Bertrand, B George, R Cooke, K Chu, L Durrant, V Goh, C Jacob, SM Ng, VY Strausse, MA Hawkins, R Muirhead. Oxygen-enhanced MRI MOLLI T1 mapping during chemoradiotherapy in anal squamous cell carcinoma. Clinical and Translational Radiation Oncology, 2020. *Indicates equal contributions. DOI:10.1016/j.ctro.2020.03.001