Dr Enrico Salviti completed his MSc in Industrial Engineering at the Department of Engineering of the University of Ferrara (Italy) in October 2011.
In May 2014, after a period as a graduate researcher, he moved to Oxford to undertake a doctorate in Engineering Science at the University of Oxford. In June 2017, after completing his DPhil, Enrico was appointed as Postdoctoral Researcher in the same department under the supervision of Professor Alexander Korsunsky.
In August 2018, he obtained his Chartered Engineering (CEng) registration with the Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET) and, since October 2018, is a college lecturer at Lady Margaret Hall.
Awards and Achievements
- Howse, Ruffles, and Parker Award for Best Doctorate Paper, Rolls-Royce, Derby (UK), December 2018
- Award for Excellence, Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford, March 2018
Enrico's research mainly focuses on the evaluation and modeling of residual stress across the scales, as well as fatigue and fracture problems in processed, welded and additively manufactured metallic materials. He is also interested in biomaterials with hierarchical structure (i.e. human teeth and bamboo) and shape memory effect in polymeric materials.
Enrico is often involved in industry-oriented projects aimed at assessing the performance of engineering components and structures, particularly for aerospace applications. A wide range of experimental techniques, at length-scales ranging from macro- nano-scale, are usually involved in his experimental work (e.g. synchrotron-based X-ray, Electron/Ion Microscopy and related techniques, static and cyclic load-controlled tests etc).
He also enjoys using Finite Element Methods for the numerical modeling of results from experiments.
- WELX Single crystal Ni-base welded turbine blades, September 2018 – Present
- Tackling human dental caries by multi-modal correlative microscopy and multi-physics modelling January 2017 – Present
- MARS Manufacturing Additive Residual Stress, May 2014 – May 2017
- ISTRESS FIB micro-milling for intrinsic stress evaluation at the micron scale, May 2014 – December 2016
Scientific papers published in international peer-reviewed journals
- E. Salvati, L. Romano-Brandt, M.Z. Mughal, M. Sebastian. A. M. Korsunsky. Generalised Residual Stress Depth Profiling at the Nanoscale using Focused Ion Beam Milling. (2019) Journal of Mechanics and Physics of Solids. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmps.2019.01.007
- R. M. N. Fleury, E. Salvati, D. Nowell, A. M. Korsunsky, F.Silva, Y.H.Tai. The effect of surface damage and residual stresses on the fatigue life of nickel superalloys at high temperature. (2019) International Journal of Fatigue. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2018.09.024
- F. Uzun, J. Everaerts, L. Romano-Brandt, M. Kartal, E. Salvati, A. M. Korsunsky. The inclusion of short-transverse displacements in the eigenstrain reconstruction of residual stress and distortion in IN740H weldments. (2018) Journal of Manufacturing Processes. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmapro.2018.10.047
- T. Sui, E. Salvati, H. Zhang, K. Nyaza, F. S. Senatov, A. Salimov, A. M. Korsunsky. Probing the complex thermo-mechanical properties of a 3D-printed polylactide-hydroxyapatite composite using in situ synchrotron X-ray scattering. (2018) Journal of Advanced Research. DOI: 10.1016/j.jare.2018.11.002
- T. Sui, E. Salvati, R. A. Harper, H. Zhang, R. M. Shelton, G. Landini, A. M. Korsunsly. In situ monitoring and analysis of enamel demineralisation using synchrotron X-ray scattering. (2018) Acta Biomaterialia. DOI: 10.1016/j.actbio.2018.07.027
- J. Everaerts, E. Salvati, F. Uzun, L. R. Brandt, H. Zhang, A. M. Korsunsky. Separating macro- (Type I) and micro- (Type II+III) residual stresses by ring-core FIB-DIC milling and eigenstrain modelling of a plastically bent titanium alloy bar. (2018) Acta Materialia. DOI: 10.1016/j.actamat.2018.06.035
- E. Salvati, L. R. Brandt, F. Uzun, H. Zhang, C. Papadaki, A. M. Korsunsky. Multiscale Analysis of Bamboo Deformation Mechanisms Following NaOH Treatment Using X-ray and Correlative Microscopy. (2018) Acta Biomaterialia. DOI:10.1016/j.actbio.2018.03.050
- S. Ying, L. Ma, T. Sui, C. Papadaki, E. Salvati, L. R. Brandt, H. Zhang, A. M. Korsunsky. Nanoscale Origins of the Size Effect in the Compression Response of Single Crystal Ni-Base Superalloy Micro-Pillars. (2018) Materials. DOI:10.3390/ma11040561
- H. Zhang, T. Sui, E. Salvati, D. Daisenberger, A.G.J. Lunt, K.S. Fong, X. Song, A.M. Korsunsky. Digital Image Correlation of 2D X-ray Powder Diffraction Data for Lattice Strain Evaluation. (2018) Materials. DOI: 10.3390/ma11030427
- A.M. Korsunsky, E. Salvati, A.G.J. Lunt, T. Sui, M.Z. Mughal, R. Daniel, J. Keckes, E. Bemporad, M. Sebastiani. Nanoscale residual stress depth profiling by Focused Ion Beam milling and eigenstrain analysis. (2018) Materials & Design. DOI: 10.1016/j.matdes.2018.02.044
- E. Salvati, A.M. Korsunsky. A Simplified FEM Eigenstrain Residual Stress Reconstruction for Surface Treatments in Arbitrary 3D Geometries. (2018) International Journal of Mechanical Sciences. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2018.02.016
- E. Salvati, L.R. Brandt, C. Papadaki, H. Zhang, S.M. Mousavi, D. Wermeille, A.M. Korsunsky. Nanoscale Structural Damage due to Focused Ion Beam Milling of Silicon. (2018) Materials Letters. DOI: 10.1016/j.matlet.2017.11.043
- E. Salvati, A.M. Korsunsky. An analysis of macro- and micro-scale residual stresses of Type I, II and III using FIB-DIC micro-ring-core milling and crystal plasticity FE modelling. (2017) International Journal of Plasticity. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijplas.2017.07.004
- E. Salvati, A.J.G. Lunt, S. Ying, T. Sui, H.J. Zhang, C. Heason, G. Baxter, A.M. Korsunsky. Eigenstrain Reconstruction of Residual Strains in an Additively Manufactured and Shot Peened Nickel Superalloy Compressor Blade. (2017) Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. DOI: 10.1016/j.cma.2017.03.005
- T. Sui, E. Salvati, S. Ying, G. Sun, I. P. Dolbnya, K. Dragnevski, C. Prisacariu, A.M. Korsunsky. Strain softening of nano-scale fuzzy interfaces causes Mullins effect in thermoplastic polyurethane. (2017) Scientific Reports. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-00904-3
- L.R. Brandt, E. Salvati, C. Papadaki, H. Zhang, T. Sui, A.M. Korsunsky, Probing the deformation and fracture properties of Cu/W nano-multilayers by in situ SEM and synchrotron XRD strain microscopy. (2017) Surface and Coatings Technology. DOI: 10.1016/j.surfcoat.2017.01.065
- E. Salvati, H. Zhang, K.S. Fong, X. Song, A. M. Korsunsky. Separating Plasticity-Induced Closure and Residual Stress Contributions to Fatigue Crack Retardation Following an Overload. (2016) Journal of Mechanics and Physics of Solids. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmps.2016.10.001
- A.M. Korsunsky, J. Guénolé, E. Salvati, T. Sui, M. Mousavi, A. Prakash, E. Bitzek. Quantifying eigenstrain distributions induced by focused ion beam damage in silicon. Materials Letters 185 (2016) 47–49. DOI: 10.1016/j.matlet.2016.08.111
- E. Salvati, T. Sui, H. Zhang, A. J.G. Lunt. K.S. Fong, X. Song, A.M. Korsunsky. Elucidating the Mechanism of Fatigue Crack Acceleration Following the Occurrence of an Underload. (2016) Advanced Engineering Materials. DOI: 10.1002/adem.201600069
- A.M. Korsunsky, T. Sui, E. Salvati, E.P. George, M. Sebastiani. Experimental and modelling characterisation of residual stresses in cylindrical samples of rapidly cooled bulk metallic glass. Materials & Design, Volume 104, 15 August (2016), Pages 235-241. DOI: 10.1016/j.matdes.2016.05.017
- E. Salvati, S. O’Connor, T. Sui, D. Nowell, A.M. Korsunsky. A Study of Overload Effect on Fatigue Crack Propagation Using EBSD, FIB-DIC and FEM Methods. (2016) Engineering Fracture Mechanics. DOI: 10.1016/j.engfracmech.2016.04.034
- E. Salvati, T. Sui, A. M. Korsunsky. Uncertainty quantification of residual stress evaluation by the FIB–DIC ring-core method due to elastic anisotropy effects. International Journal of Solids and Structures, Volume 87, 1 June (2016), Pages 61-69. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2016.02.031
- E. Salvati, T. Sui, A.J.G. Lunt, A.M. Korsunsky. The effect of eigenstrain induced by ion beam damage on the apparent strain relief in FIB-DIC residual stress evaluation. Materials & Design, Volume 92, 15 February (2016), Pages 649-658. DOI: 10.1016/j.matdes.2015.12.015
- A.J.G. Lunt, E. Salvati, L. Ma, I.P. Dolbyna, T.K. Neo, A.M. Korsunsky. Full in-plane strain tensor analysis using the microscale ring-core FIB milling and DIC approach. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Volume 94, September (2016), Pages 47-67. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmps.2016.03.013
- A.J.G. Lunt, N. Baimpas, E. Salvati, I. P. Dolbnya, T. Sui, S. Ying, H. Zhang, A.K. Kleppe, J. Dluhoš, A.M. Korsunsky. A state-of-the-art review of micron- scale spatially resolved residual stress analysis by FIB-DIC ring-core milling and other techniques. The Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design August 4, (2015). DOI: 10.1177/0309324715596700
- P. Livieri, E. Salvati, R. Tovo. A non-linear model for the fatigue assessment of notched components under fatigue loadings. International Journal of Fatigue 82 · September (2015). DOI: 10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2015.09.019. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2015.09.019
- E. Salvati, P. Livieri, R. Tovo. Mode I Stress Intensity Factors for triangular corner crack nearby intersecting cylindrical holes. January (2013) Frattura ed Integrità Strutturale. DOI: 10.3221/1173
- H. Zhang, E. Salvati, C. Papadaki, K.S. Fong, X. Song, A. M. Korsunsky. Grain Rotation during Twin-Detwin Deformation of Mg AZ31 Alloy Using In Situ XRD and EBSD. (2019) Key Engineering Materials. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.793.17
- R. M. N. Fleury, E. Salvati, D. Nowell, A. M. Korsunsky. Characterisation and fatigue life assessment of handling surface damage. BSSM 12th International Conference on Advances in Experimental Mechanics. Sheffield, United Kingdom. (2017)
- B. de Jager. B. Zhang, X. Song, C. Papadaki, H. Zhang, L. R. Brandt, E. Salvati, T. Sui, A. M. Korsunsky. Texture and Microstructure Analysis of IN718 Nickel Superalloy Samples Additively Manufactured by Selective Laser Melting. Conference: Proceedings of the International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists (IMECS). Hong Kong, 15-17 March, (2017)
- E. Salvati, H. Zhang, K. S. Fong, R.J.H. Paynter, X. Song, A. M. Korsunsky. Fatigue and Fracture behaviour of AZ31b Mg alloy plastically deformed by Constrained Groove Pressing in the Presence of Overloads. 21st European Conference on Fracture, ECF21, 20-24 June 2016, Catania, Italy. Structural Integrity Procedia (2016)
- A. L. M. Carvalho, J. P. Martins, E. Salvati, T. Sui, A. M. Korsunsky. Crack surface morphology and grain misorientation in fatigued aluminium alloy AA7050 samples after interrupted ageing and retrogression-reageing treatments. 21st European Conference on Fracture, ECF21, 20-24 June 2016, Catania, Italy. Structural Integrity Procedia (2016)
- A. L. M. Carvalho, J. P. Martins, E. Salvati, T. Sui, A. M. Korsunsky, Fractography of fatigue cracks in aluminium alloy AA7050 subjected to interrupted ageing and retro-ageing heat treatments, IMECS proceeding, (2016)
- H. Zhang, E. Salvati, S. Ying, A. Lunt, T. Sui, A. M. Korsunsky, Effect of Pt Deposition on Digital Image Correlation Analysis for Residual Stress Measurement Using FIB-DIC Ring-core Method, WCE proceeding, (2016)
- H. Zhang, K. S. Fong, Xu Song, S. Ying, E. Salvati, T. Sui, A. M. Korsunsky, Synchrotron X-ray Diffraction Analysis of Bending Strains in Magnesium Alloy AZ31B Processed by Severe Plastic Deformation, IMECS proceeding, (2016)
- E. Salvati, S. O’Connor, D. Nowell, A. M. Korsunsky. EBSD Investigation of Fatigue Crack Propagation Past a Crack Closure Due to Overload. The 5th International Conference on Crack Paths (CP 2015). Ferrara, Italy, 16-18 September, (2015)
- E. Salvati, M. Benedetti, T. Sui, A. M. Korsunsky. Residual Stress Measurement on Shot Peened Samples Using FIB-DIC. SEM 2015 Conference. Costa Mesa, CA, USA. June 8-11th (2015)
- E. Salvati, A. J.G. Lunt, T. Sui and A. M. Korsunsky. An Investigation of Residual Stress Gradient Effects in FIB-DIC Micro-Ring-Core Analysis. IMECS Conference. Hong Kong. 18-20 March (2015)
- A.M. Korsunsky, T. Sui, J. Dluhoš, E. Salvati, et al, Multi-Beam Engineering Microscopy – a Versatile Tool for Optimal Materials Design, IMECS proceeding, (2015)
- R. Tovo, P. Livieri, E. Salvati. Un modello non-lineare per la previsione della vita a fatica basato sul metodo del Gradiente Implicito. 43° Convegno Nazionale, 9-12 September (2014), Alma Mater Studiorum Università Di Bologna
- E. Salvati, T. Sui, S. Ying, A. J. G. Lunt, A. M. Korsunsky. On the Accuracy of Residual Stress Evaluation from Focused Ion Beam DIC (FIB-DIC) Ring-core Milling Experiments. Proc. of the 5th Int. Conf. on Nanotechnology: Fundamentals and Applications Prague, Czech Republic, August 11-13, (2014) Paper No. 265
- E. Salvati, P. Livieri, R. Tovo. Funzioni Peso per Cricche ad Angolo in Corrispondenza di Intersezione di Fori. Conference: IGF (2013), Rome
- R. Tovo, P. Livieri, E. Salvati. Previsione della Vita a Termine con il Metodo del Gradiente Implicito. 42° Convegno Nazionale,11-14 September (2013), Università Degli Studi Di Salerno
- R. Tovo, P. Livieri, E. Salvati. Vita a Termine in Provini Raccordati con il Metodo del Gradiente Implicito. 41° Convegno Nazionale, 5-8 September (2012), Università Degli Studi Di Padova.