Gustavo Quino obtained his DPhil in Engineering Science from the University of Oxford, following his MSc in Mech. Eng. from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (Saudi Arabia) and his BSc in Mech. Eng. from Universidad Nacional de Ingeniería (Peru).
He currently works at the Impact Engineering Laboratory, Solid Mechanics and Materials Engineering Group. He investigates how humidity, temperature, and strain rate (impact) affect the mechanical performance of various engineering materials (polymers, laminate composites, foams, ceramics, etc).
 G. Quino et al., “Speckle patterns for DIC in challenging scenarios: rapid application and impact endurance,” Meas. Sci. Technol., vol. 32, no. 1, p. 015203, Jan. 2021, doi: 10.1088/1361-6501/abaae8.
 G. Quino, V. L. Tagarielli, and N. Petrinic, “Effects of water absorption on the mechanical properties of GFRPs,” Compos. Sci. Technol., vol. 199, p. 108316, Oct. 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.compscitech.2020.108316.
 D. Thomson, G. Quino, H. Cui, A. Pellegrino, B. Erice, and N. Petrinic, “Strain-rate and off-axis loading effects on the fibre compression strength of CFRP laminates: Experiments and constitutive modelling,” Compos. Sci. Technol., vol. 195, p. 108210, Jul. 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.compscitech.2020.108210.
 G. Quino, F. De Cola, V. Tagarielli, and N. Petrinic, “Exploring the application of sound measurements to assess the structural integrity of fibre bundles,” Procedia Struct. Integr., vol. 18, pp. 507–515, Jan. 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.prostr.2019.08.194.
 F. De Cola, G. Quino, K. Dragnevski, and N. Petrinic, “An extended in-situ method to improve the understanding of fracture mechanics of granular materials using sound measurements,” Eur. J. Mech. A/Solids, vol. 76, pp. 1–12, Jul. 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.euromechsol.2019.02.012.
 G. Quino, A. Pellegrino, V. L. Tagarielli, and N. Petrinic, “Measurements of the effects of pure and salt water absorption on the rate-dependent response of an epoxy matrix,” Compos. Part B Eng., vol. 146, pp. 213–221, Aug. 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.compositesb.2018.03.044.
 G. Quino, J. El Yagoubi, and G. Lubineau, “Characterizing the toughness of an epoxy resin after wet aging using compact tension specimens with non-uniform moisture content,” Polym. Degrad. Stab., vol. 109, pp. 319–326, Nov. 2014, doi: 10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2014.08.005.
Awards and Prizes
- Recognition Award, Department of Engineering Science (2020)
- 1st place OxTALENT 2018, Innovation Challenges Students, University of Oxford (2018)
- £7000 funding to run the Summer School on Immersive Technologies. University of Oxford (2018)
- £15000 funding from the IT Services Innovation Challenge to develop the AR&VR Oxford Hub. University of Oxford (2017)
- Poster award in the conference II Sinapsis, Berlin (2017)
- Departmental Studentship. Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford (2013)
- Peruvian-Russian prize for innovative projects of young scientists. CTIC, Peru. (2013)
- KAUST Fellowship and Provost Award, Saudi Arabia (2011)
- Opportunity Grant Award, Fulbright Commission (2011)