Dr. Karthik Ram Ramakrishnan is a researcher with demonstrated skills in mechanical characterisation and structural analysis of polymers and composites, excellent communication skills and a proven track record in conducting research projects. His research focus is in mechanics of materials, with emphasis on the dynamic behaviour of composite materials.
Karthik worked in a wide range of projects with materials varying from cellulose based nanocomposites to Kevlar sandwich composites; experimental techniques from Split Hopkinson Pressure Bar (SHPB) to biomechanical kick energy assessment; and numerical models from brittle cracking in acrylic to multiscale modeling of plant fibre composites. His experience spans different aspects along the product chain, starting from single fibre testing, to composites manufacturing, mechanical characterization and finite element analyses.
He has authored 29 publications in journals such as Composites Part A and Composites Part B. He has also co-authored publications in other disciplines: Material Chemistry A, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, Tribology international and Sports engineering.
Awards & Achievements
Karthik's postdoctoral fellowship at Tampere was awarded for an independent project proposal that he wrote to the University President (equivalent of the Vice-Chancellor’s Fellowship). The funding was worth approximately €120,000 towards his salary and indirect costs/overheads.
He was awarded the prestigious Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) and Top-up Scholarship from UNSW Australia to pursue his PhD. He was rewarded for strengthening the scientific collaboration between Australia and France with highly competitive grants by the Australian Academy of Science ($5000) and Scientific Mobility program of French Embassy ($5000).
The development and integration of experimental and numerical methods for studying the dynamic behaviour of polymers, composites and sandwich panels
Karthik's research focused on overcoming the scientific obstacles to the development and widespread adoption of sustainable composites made of natural fibres in structural applications in automotive, biomedical and other industries
His research focused on investigating nano-scale reinforcements based on self-assembling block copolymers to improve the impact resistance of sandwich composites.
Design of Engineered Lightweight Innovative Casings for Engines (2019-present)
Karthik is currently a postdoctoral researcher at the Impact Engineering Laboratory (100% research role). He is responsible for the ballistic impact testing of composite components for engine casing of Rolls-Royce's next generation Ultra High Bypass Ratio (UHBR) civil gas turbines.
This project, funded by Innovate UK, allows Oxford together with partners Rolls-Royce and National Composite Centre (NCC) to manufacture the world’s largest carbon fibre composite fan case and is a key enabler for future UHBR engines.
- KR Ramakrishnan, S Guérard, L Maheo, K Shankar, P Viot, “A new method for the study of parabolic impact of foam-core sandwich panels”, Composites Part B: Engineering, 2019, article in press, (accepted 02/19) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2019.02.062
- K Valtonen, V Ratia, KR Ramakrishnan, M Apostol, J Terva, VT Kuokkala, “Impact wear performance of steels at subzero temperatures”, Tribology International, 2019, 476-493
- J Pan, J Wu, KR Ramakrishnan, HK Singh, Z Zhang, “A novel modes selection technique for improving accuracy of frequency-based damage detection”, Composites Part B: Engineering, 2019, 159, p. 437-446
- RK Layek, KR Ramakrishnan, E Sarlin, O Orell, M Kanerva, J Vuorinen, M Honkanen, “Layered Structure Graphene Oxide / Methylcellulose Composites with Enhanced Mechanical and Gas Barrier Properties”, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2018, 6, 13203
- L Puech, KR Ramakrishnan, N Le Moigne, S Corn, PR Slangen, A Le Duc, H Boudhani, A Bergeret, “Investigating the impact behaviour of short hemp fibres reinforced polypropylene biocomposites through high speed imaging and finite element modelling”, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 2018, 109, p. 428-439
- KR Ramakrishnan, S Corn, N Le Moigne, P Ienny, R Leger, P Slangen, “High speed imaging for assessment of impact damage in natural fibre biocomposites”, Proceedings of SPIE - Optical measurement systems for industrial inspection, 2017
- KR Ramakrishnan, H Wang, K Shankar, A Fien, “A new method for the measurement and analysis of biomechanical energy delivered by kicking”, Sports engineering, 2017, 21
- KR Ramakrishnan, S Denneulin, P Viot, S Guérard, K Shankar, “Finite element modelling of the response of composite plates with block copolymer nano-reinforcements to low velocity impact”, International journal of automotive composites, 2016, 2(1)
- H Wang, KR Ramakrishnan, K Shankar, “Experimental study of the medium velocity impact response of sandwich panels with different cores”, Materials and Design, 2016, 99, p. 68- 82
- KR Ramakrishnan, S Guérard, P Viot, K Shankar, “Effect of block copolymer nano-reinforcements on the low velocity impact response of sandwich structures”, Composite Structures, 2014, 110, p. 174-182