Dr. Longhui Zhang holds a PhD in Mechanical Engineering (2018) from Technion-Israel Institute of Technology and graduated in Solid Mechanics (Direct BSc-MSc) from South China University of Technology. He is currently a research associate working in Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre (UTC).
Inspired by working and completing a series of Rolls-Royce projects, Longhui's interest is in solid mechanics of advanced engineering materials and structures under impact loading, with emphasis on dynamic deformation and failure under complex environments and stress states, to provide important findings and results for critical engineering applications as well as being good physics.
Longhui is a member of Society for Experimental Mechanics, DYMAT society and The American Ceramic Society, and serves as a monthly peer reviewer for Mechanics of Materials, International Journal of Impact Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering: A et al. over 30 journals.
Awards and Honours
May 2022 ZwickRoell Science Award (€1000 award), ZwickRoell Ltd, Germany
July 2017 Excellent Dissertation for Master's Degree, South China University of Technology (About £1200 award)
August 2016 The paper “Constitutive model of aviation transparent polyurethane at high strain rates” was selected as "Top Articles from Outstanding S&T Journals of China in 2015" on F5000 Frontrunner Platform
September 2015, Cover Photograph, International Journal of Material Research
October 2014 National Scholarship awarded by Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China (About £ 2400 award)
June 2013 Excellent Dissertation for Bachelor's Degree, South China University of Technology
- Novel Material Systems
- Thermomechanical Coupling
- Dynamic Strain Localization
- PHENOMENA: Temperature and Strain rate Dependent Behaviour of Alloys for High-performance Aerospace Applications.
- COSAP: Development Fan Containment Casing Material
- Tumble: High Strain Rate Characterization of Turbine Materials at Ultra-high Temperatures
Completed 1 Million Pounds Rolls Royce UTC Projects & Reports
1. L.H. Zhang et al., Rolls Royce UTC Report 476, 2022. About the development of Gas Turbine
2. L.H. Zhang et al., Rolls Royce UTC Report 478, 2022. About the development of Fan Blade Containment Casing
3. L.H. Zhang et al., Rolls Royce UTC Report 471, 2021. About the development of Fan Blade Containment Casing
4. L.H. Zhang, D. Townsend, Rolls Royce UTC Report 469, 2020. About the development of Fan Blade Containment Casing
5. D. Townsend, L.H. Zhang et al, Rolls Royce UTC Report 465, 2020. About the development of Fan Blade Containment Casing
Publications in Oxford (*Corresponding Author)
1. L.H. Zhang*, D. Townsend, Controlling Dynamic Brittle Failure of Polymeric Composites by Multiaxial Loading, 23rd International Conference on Composites Materials, 2023.
2. L.H. Zhang*, D. Townsend, Pressure, Temperature and Pre-strain History Dependent Dynamic Flow and Failure of Porous Syntactic Foam, 11th Annual Mach Conference, 2023.
3. L.H. Zhang*, D. Townsend, Dynamic Failure of Glass Ceramic and Acrylic Glass under Multiaxial Loading, 47th International Conference and Exposition on Advanced Ceramics and Composites Conference (ICACC), 2023.
4. L.H. Zhang*, D. Townsend, Strain Rate Dependent Compressive Mechanical Properties and Dynamic Failure of Pre-strained Epoxy Syntactic Foam, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 2023,165, 107360.
5. L.H. Zhang*, D. Townsend, Effects of large strain reverse loading on the strain rate dependence and dynamic strain localization of ductile metallic rods, Meccanica, 2022 57, 3001–3022.
6. L.H. Zhang*, D. Townsend, Adiabatic Shear Failure of Lightweight Materials: From Titanium Alloys to PA66-GF30 Composite, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Impact Loading of Structures and Materials, 2022, 61. ISBN 978-82-998249-5-8.
7. L.H. Zhang*, D. Townsend, Pure shear deformation and failure of Ti6Al4V alloy under quasi-static, medium and high strain rate torsional loading, Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Advances in Experimental Mechanics, 2022.
8. L.H. Zhang*, Influence of shear stress state on dynamic fracture of a glass ceramic Macor, Ceramics International, 2022, 48(17), 24582-24591.
9. L.H. Zhang*, Thermo-mechanical characterization and dynamic failure of a CoCrFeNi high-entropy alloy, Materials Science and Engineering: A, 2022, 844, 143166.
10. L.H. Zhang*, D. Townsend, A. Pellegrino, N. Petrinic, Pure Shear Plastic Deformation and Failure of Titanium Alloys Under Static and Dynamic Torsional Loading, Mechanics of Materials, 2022, 167, 104262.
11. L.H. Zhang*, D. Townsend, N. Petrinic, A. Pellegrino, Temperature Dependent Dynamic Compressive Response of PA66-GF30 Composite under Multiaixal Loading, Composites Part B, 2022, 234, 109738.
12. L.H. Zhang*, D. Townsend, N. Petrinic, A. Pellegrino, The Dependency of Compressive Response of Epoxy Syntactic Foam on the Strain Rate and Temperature under Rigid Confinement, Composite Structures, 2022, 280, 114853,.
13. L.H. Zhang*, D. Townsend, N. Petrinic, A. Pellegrino, Loading Mode and Lateral Confinement Dependent Fracture of A Glass Ceramic Macor, Journal of Dynamic Behavior of Materials, 2022, 8: 255–272.
14. L.H. Zhang*, D. Townsend, N. Petrinic, A. Pellegrino, Pressure and Temperature Dependent Dynamic Flow and Failure Behavior of PMMA at Intermediate Strain Rates, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 2021, 158, 104026.
15. L.H. Zhang*, D. Townsend, N. Petrinic, A. Pellegrino, Strain rate and temperature dependent strain localization of dynamically stretched lightweight bars: from metal to polymer, European Physical Journal Web of Conferences, 2021, 250,05001.
16. L.H. Zhang*, A. Pellegrino, D. Townsend, N. Petrinic, Thermomechanical constitutive behaviour of a near α titanium alloy over a wide range of strain rates: Experiments and modelling, International Journal of Mechanical Science, 2021, 189, 105970.
17. L.H. Zhang*, D. Townsend, N. Petrinic, A. Pellegrino, Measurement of Pure Shear Constitutive Relationship From Torsion Tests under Quasi-static Condition, Medium and High Strain Rates, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 2021, 88(12): 121003.
18. L.H. Zhang*, A. Pellegrino, D. Townsend, N. Petrinic, Thermomechanical Constitutive Response of a Near α Titanium Alloy Over a Wide Range of Strain Rates, Proceedings of 25th International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 2021,1938-1939. ISBN 978-83-65550-31-6.
19. L.H. Zhang*, A. Pellegrino, D. Townsend, N. Petrinic, Strain rate and temperature dependent strain localization of a near α titanium alloy, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 2020, (145):103676
20. L.H. Zhang*, A. Pellegrino, D. Townsend, N. Petrinic, Temperature Dependent Dynamic Strain Localization and Failure of Ductile Polymeric Rods under Large Deformation, International Journal of Mechanical Science, 2021, 204, 106563.
21. L.H. Zhang, A. Pellegrino*, N. Petrinic, Dynamic Necking of a Near α Titanium Alloy at High Strain Rates: Experiments and Modelling, Defense Technology, 2021,17:1126-1134.
22. L.H. Zhang, G. Gour, N. Petrinic, A. Pellegrino*, Rate dependent behaviour and dynamic strain localisation of three novel impact resilient titanium alloys: experiments and modelling, Materials Science and Engineering: A, 2020, 138552.
23. L.H. Zhang, A. Pellegrino*, N. Petrinic, Dynamic necking of a near α titanium alloy at high strain rates: experiments and modelling, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2020, 1507(3), 032047. DOI: 10.1088/1742-6596/1507/3/032047.
24. R.M. Quinn, L.H. Zhang, M.J. Cox, D. Townsend, T. Cartwright, G. Aldrich-Smith, P.A. Hooper, J.P. Dear*, Development and Validation of a Hopkinson Bar for Hazardous Materials, Experimental Mechanics, 2020, 60, 1275–1288.
25. L. Varley, M. Rutherford, L.H. Zhang, A. Pellegrino*, The Mechanical Response of Wet Volcanic Sand to Impact Loading, Effects of Water Content and Initial Consolidation, Journal of Dynamic Behavior of Materials, 2020, 6, 358–372.