Dr Mario Gutiérrez received his Bachelor degree in Chemistry (2012) from the University of Castilla-La Mancha (UCLM). He obtained his Master (2014) and Ph.D. (2017) diplomas in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (Physical Chemistry) from the UCLM under the supervision of Prof. Abderrazzak Douhal.
From 2017 to 2018, Mario was developing a postdoctoral research work in the same group. In January 2019, he joined as a postdoctoral researcher in the Department's Multifunctional Materials & Composites Group led by Professor Jin-Chong Tan.
Awards and Achievements
- Prize: Best poster presented in the Conference “V Jornadas Doctorales de la Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha”. Date: 06/10/2015.
- Prize: Best oral contribution presented in the Conference “IV Jornadas doctorales G9”. Date: 09/03/2016.
- Prize: Best poster presented in the Conference “Vth Spanish-Portuguese Workshop on Photochemistry”. Date: 07/09/2016.
- Prize: Prize awarded by University of Castilla-La Mancha (UCLM) for the best student in 2016. Title: “Reconocidos del Consejo Social 2016”. Date: 23/09/2016
- Prize: Best oral contribution presented in the Conference “XI Young Science Symposium”. Date: 09/06/2017.
- Prize: Best doctoral thesis, awarded by Real Sociedad de Química Española. Date: 06/10/2017.
- Prize: Best doctoral thesis in Science awarded by University of Castilla-La Mancha (UCLM). Date: 04/05/2018.
Mario’s research interests are focused on the application of different steady-state and time-resolved spectroscopic techniques to unravel the emission properties as well as the ultrafast processes happening in photoexcited luminescent Metal-Organic Framework (LMOF) materials.
Mario has also demonstrated in his work that LMOFs have promising abilities to be used in real-world photonic applications such as photocatalysis, fluorescent sensors of nitroaromatic explosive molecules and light emitting diodes. ORCID: 0000–0001–9222–3647
- LMOFs for solid-lighting The possible use of LMOFs as the electroluminescent layer of LED devices to substitute toxic and expensive rare-earths elements is being explored.
- LMOFs for VOC detection The use of LMOFs for the detection of different volatile organic compounds with practical applications (e.g. acetone for diabetes diagnoses) is being investigated.
- Alarcos, N.†; Gutiérrez, M.†; Liras, M.; Sanchez, F.; Douhal, A., "From Intra- to Inter-Molecular Hydrogen Bonds with the Surroundings: Steady-State and Time-Resolved Behaviours", Photochem. Photobiol. Sci. 2015, 14 (7), 1306-1318. †Equal Contribution
- Alarcos, N.†; Gutiérrez, M.†; Liras, M.; Sanchez, F.; Douhal, A., "An Abnormally Slow Proton Transfer Reaction in a Simple HBO Derivative due to Ultrafast Intramolecular-Charge Transfer Events", Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2015, 17 (25), 16257-16269. (Cover) †Equal Contribution
- Alarcos, N.†; Gutiérrez, M.†; Liras, M.; Sanchez, F.; Moreno, M.; Douhal, A., "Direct Observation of Breaking of the Intramolecular H-Bond, and Slowing Down of the Proton Motion and Tuning its Mechanism in an HBO Derivative", Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2015, 17 (22), 14569-14581. †Equal Contribution
- Gutiérrez, M.†; Alarcos, N.†; Liras, M.; Sánchez, F.; Douhal, A., "Switching to a Reversible Proton Motion in a Charge-Transferred Dye", J. Phys. Chem. B 2015, 119 (2), 552-562. †Equal Contribution
- Gutiérrez, M.; Sanchez, F.; Douhal, A., "Efficient Multicolor and White Light Emission from Zr-Based MOF Composites: Spectral and Dynamic Properties", J. Mater. Chem. C 2015, 3 (43), 11300-11310.
- Gutiérrez, M.; Cohen, B.; Sanchez, F.; Douhal, A., "Photochemistry of Zr-Based MOFs: Ligand-to- Cluster Charge Transfer, Energy transfer and Excimer Formation, What Else is There?", Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2016, 18 (40), 27761-27774.
- Gutiérrez, M.; Sanchez, F.; Douhal, A., "Spectral and Dynamical Properties of a Zr-Based MOF", Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2016, 18 (7), 5112-5120.
- Gutiérrez, M.; Sánchez, F.; Douhal, A., "Competitive Excimer Formation and Energy Transfer in Zr- Based Heterolinker Metal–Organic Frameworks", Chem. Eur. J. 2016, 22 (37), 13072-13082.
- Santomauro, F. G.; Grilj, J.; Mewes, L.; Nedelcu, G.; Yakunin, S.; Rossi, T.; Capano, G.; Haddad, A. A.; Budarz, J.; Kinschel, D.; Ferreira, D. S.; Rossi, G.; Tovar, M. G.*; Grolimund, D.; Samson, V.; Nachtegaal, M.; Smolentsev, G.; Kovalenko, M. V.; Chergui, M., "Localized Holes and Delocalized Electrons in Photoexcited Inorganic Perovskites: Watching each Atomic Actor by Picosecond X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy", Struct. Dyn. 2017, 4 (4), 044002.
- Gutiérrez, M.; López-González M.; Sánchez, F.; Douhal, A., "Efficient Light Harvesting within C153@Zr-Based MOF Embedded in a Polymeric Film: Spectral and Dynamical Characterization", Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2017, 19, 17544-17552.
- Gutiérrez, M.; Navarro, R.; Sánchez, F.; Douhal, A., "Photodynamics of Zr-Based MOFs: Effect of Explosive Nitroaromatics", Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2017, 19, 16337.
- Gómez, E. †; Gutiérrez, M. †; Moreno, M.; Hisaki, I.; Nakagawa, S.; Douhal, A., “Spectroscopy and Dynamics of Dehydrobenzoannulene Derivatives Possessing Peripheral Carboxyphenyl Groups: Theory and Experiment”, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2018, 20, 7415-7427. †Equal Contribution.
- Gutierrez, M.; Martín, C.; Kennes, K.; Hofkens, J.; Van der Auweraer, M.; Sánchez, F.; Douhal, A., " New OLEDs Based on Zirconium Metal-Organic Framework", Adv. Opt. Mater. 2018, 6, 1701060.
- Galar, P.; Piatkowski, P.; Tuyen, T.; Gutiérrez, M.; Mora-Seró, I.; Douhal A., "Perovskite-Quantum Dots Interface: Deciphering its Ultrafast Charge Carrier Dynamics", Nano Energy, 2018, 49, 471-480.
- Gómez, E.; Gutiérrez, M.; Cohen, B.; Hisaki, I.; Douhal, A., “Single Crystal Fluorescence Behavior of a New HOF Material: Potential Candidate for a New LED”, J. Mater. Chem. C 2018, 6, 6929-6939.
- Gutierrez, M.; Martín, C.; Van der Auweraer, M.; Hofkens, J.; Tan J.C. “Optoelectronic Materials Based on Gaq3@ZIF-8 Metal-Organic Framework Composites for Solid-State Lighting”, 2019. Submitted