- Ph.D., Civil/Environmental Engineering, Purdue University, USA, 2017
- M.S., Municipal Engineering, Southeast University, China, 2012
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Southeast University, China, 2008
- Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Oxford, 05/2019-
- Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Kansas, 05/2017-05/2019
- Research Assistant, Purdue University, 08/2013-04/2017
- Research Assistant, Southeast University, 08/2010-12/2012
- Jeannette Johnson Staff Professional Development Fund, The University of Kansas, 2018
- Environmental Chemistry Graduate Student Award, American Chemical Society, 2017
- Pai Tao Yeh Fellowship, Lyles School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 2016 & 2017
- The Ron Wukasch Environmental Engineering Scholarship, Purdue University, 2016
- ENVR Graduate Service Fellowships, American Chemical Society, 2016
- Ph.D. Candidate Travel Fund, College of Engineering, Purdue University, 2016
- Colloidal based water treatment
- Membrane separation process
- Electro-chemical water treatment
- Oil produced water treatment
Selective recovery of metallic ions from process/effluent streams
- Chen M., Shafer-Peltier K., Veisi M., Randtke S. J., Peltier E. Complexation and precipitation of scale-forming cations in oilfield produced water with polyelectrolytes. Sep. Purif. Technol. 2019, 222, 1-10.
- Chen M., Shafer-Peltier K., Randtke S. J., Peltier E. Competitive association of cations with poly(sodium 4-styrenesulfonate) (PSS) and heavy metal removal from water by PSS-assisted ultrafiltration. Chem. Eng. J. 2018, 344, 155-164.
- Chen M., Shafer-Peltier K., Randtke S., Peltier E.. Modeling arsenic (V) removal from water by micellar enhanced ultrafiltration in the presence of competing anions. Chemosphere, 2018, 213, 258-294.
- Chen M., Jafvert C. T. Anion recovery from water by cross-linked cationic surfactant nanoparticles across dialysis membranes. Environ. Sci.: Nano, 2018, 5, 1350-1360.
- Chen M., Jafvert C. T. Application of cross-linked stearic acid nanoparticles with dialysis membranes for methylene blue recovery. Sep. Purif. Technol. 2018, 204, 21-29.
- Chen M., Wu Y., Jafvert C. T. Synthesis of cross-linked cationic surfactant nanoparticles for removing anions from water. Environ. Sci.: Nano, 2017,4, 1534-1543
- Chen M., Jafvert C. T. Anion exchange on cationic surfactant micelles, and a speciation model for estimating anion removal on micelles during ultrafiltration of water. Langmuir, 2017, 33(26), 6540-6549