Dr Peter McQuilton holds a 1st class BSc (Hons) degree in Genetics from the University of Leeds (2000) and a PhD (2004) in Drosophila neurodevelopment from the University of Cambridge.
Peter has spent over 15 years working in the fields of bioinformatics, biocuration and data wrangling, first as a genetic literature curator at FlyBase, the premier database on drosophila genes and genomes, and then as part of the Data Readiness Group at the Oxford e-Research Centre. As part of the Data Readiness Group, Peter leads the FAIRsharing project. FAIRsharing is a manually curated, searchable portal of interlinked standards, databases and policies, from all domains.
Peter specialises in data curation, standards, text-mining, ontology design, data management and FAIR data.
In addition, he is interested in bringing communities together to further awareness of data curation and stewardship methods, with the aim of raising the level of understanding and ability in the community to ensure that the data generated today is managed correctly, using the appropriate standards, and deposited in trusted repositories, to facilitate the re-use of that data tomorrow.
A full list of Peter's research publications are available via ORCID
- Evaluating FAIR-Compliance Through an Objective, Automated, Community-Governed Framework. Wilkinson, Dumontier, Sansone et al., bioRxiv 2018
- FAIRsharing, a cohesive community approach to the growth in standards, repositories and policies. Sansone, McQuilton, Rocca-Serra et al., bioRxiv 2018
- BioSharing: curated and crowd-sourced metadata standards, databases and data policies in the life sciences. McQuilton, Gonzalez-Beltran, Rocca-Serra et al., Database, 2016
- Overview of the interactive task in BioCreative V. Wang, Abdyl, Almeida et al., Database, 2016
- tagtog: interactive and text-mining-assisted annotation of gene mentions in PLOS full-text articles. Cejuela, McQuilton, Ponting et al., Database, 2014
- FlyBase 101 – the basics of navigating FlyBase. McQuilton, St. Pierre, Thurmond et al., 2012
- Opportunities for text mining in the FlyBase genetic literature curation workflow. McQuilton. NAR, 2012
- Inside FlyBase: biocuration as a career. St. Pierre, McQuilton. Fly, 2009.