Dr Weiqi Hua received his DPhil and Master degrees at the University of Durham in 2020 and 2017, respectively, and then took the postdoctoral position at Centre for Integrated Energy Generation and Supply (CIREGS), Cardiff University from 2020 to 2021. He was the visiting researcher to the Hellenic Telecommunications Organisation (OTE), Greece in 2019, and visiting researcher to the Chinese Academy of Sciences, China in 2018 and 2019. He has been with Oxford e-Research Centre at the University of Oxford as a PDRA in energy system analytics since 2021.
Dr Hua has also undertaken research projects collaborating with academia and industries. He has been involved in research projects as a researcher, including: EPSRC MISSION (with Cardiff University), Horizon 2020 VPP4ISLANDS (with Cardiff University), EU ERDF SWIi (with the University of Durham), and Horizon 2020 TESTBED (with the University of Durham).
Dr Hua is serving as the lead guest editor for the special issue "Blockchain Technologies Empowering Peer-to-Peer Trading in Multi-Energy Systems: From Advanced Technologies Towards Applications" in IET Smart Grid. He has also served as a technical program committee (TPC) member for IEEE SmartGridComm 2020, and TPC member for IEEE International Smart Cities Conference 2021. He has been appointed as the sessional chair for IEEE SmartGridComm 2018, and sessional chair for IEEE International Smart Cities Conference 2017.
- Energy system modelling and optimisation
- Renewable energy integration
- Energy policy and economics
- Machine learning for energy system analytics
- Blockchain for peer-to-peer energy trading
- Analytical Middleware for Informed Distribution Networks (AMIDiNe)
(Devising analytics that link point measurement to whole system to address the increasingly problematic management of electrical load on distribution networks as the UK transitions to a low carbon energy system)
Honours and Awards
- GBCET Award Funded by Great Britain-China Educational Trust (GBCET).
- Allowance from European Horizon 2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions for Secondment at the OTE, Greece.
- Allowance from European Horizon 2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions for Secondment at the CAS-IEE, China.
- PhD Scholarship Funded by Hyundai Motor Company in South Korea and Research Doctoral Scholarship in Durham University.
- Best Presentation of the 2nd International Conference on Power and Renewable Energy (ICPRE) 2017, Chengdu, China.
- Jinpeng Scholarship for Visiting Student at the University of Hong Kong.
- "A Blockchain Based Peer-to-Peer Trading Scheme Coupling Energy and Carbon Markets", Department of Engineering Research Day, the University of Durham, 2019.
- "Scientific Innovation and Regulatory Support in Achieving Low Carbon Energy Systems", UK Summer School, China University of Geosciences, 2019.
- ''Energy Market Transitions Towards Prosumers Era'', Institute of Electrical Engineering, Chinese academy of sciences, 2018
- "Carbon Emissions Reduction Technologies for Future Energy Systems", Department of Engineering Research Day, the University of Durham, 2017.
Committees and Reviewing
- 2021: Guest Editor (Lead) for Special Issue Blockchain Technologies Empowering Peer-to-Peer Trading in Multi-Energy Systems: From Advanced Technologies Towards Applications in IET Smart Grid.
- 2021: Technical Program Committee (TPC) Member of IEEE International Smart Cities Conference 2021.
- 2020: TPC Member of IEEE SmartGridComm 2020.
- 2018: Chair on the Session of Operation and Integration of Electric Vehicles in Smart Grid, IEEE SmartGridComm2018, Aalborg, Denmark.
- 2017: Chair on the Session of Smart Energy Systems, IEEE International Smart Cities Conference 2017, Wuxi, China.
- Journal Reviewer: IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Energy, Applied Energy, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, IET Renewable Power Generation, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Energy and AI, CSEE Journal of Power and Energy Systems, Journal of Cleaner Production, Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, World Electric Vehicle Journal, EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking.