Yuping graduated with distinction in Master’s degree of Mechanical Engineering from The University of Hong Kong (HKU). His MPhil research focused on graphene/oxide electrode materials and ferroelectric nanostructures, with his MPhil thesis winning the best postgraduate thesis award from HKU.
In October 2017, he started his DPhil in Engineering Science at The University of Oxford and joined the Soft Matter Photonics group in Engineering and Physics and Application of Soluble Semiconductors group in Physics to develop photo-alignment and high-resolution patterning of liquid crystalline conjugated polymers for polarized LEDs and polymer lasers, under supervision of Professor Stephen Morris and Professor Donal Bradley (FRS, CBE).
He is also a proud recipient of the prestigious full-cost "Hong Kong Jockey Club Graduate Scholarship at the University of Oxford".
- Conjugated Polymers
- Molecular Alignment
- Organic Semiconducting Lasers
- Organic Solar Cells
- Thin-film Transistors
- Flexible Electronics
- Graphene and Nano-carbons
- Electrode Materials in Li-batteries
- Perovskite and Ferroelectric Oxides
- Phase Transition and Memory
- All Solid-state Electrocaloric Cooling
Photoalignment and High-resolution Spatial Patterning of Conjugated Polymer Chain-Orientation for Polarized Light Emission
Optical and Photonic Engineering
1. Yuping Shi,* Patrick S. Salter,* Mo Li, Robert A. Taylor, Steve J. Elston, Stephen M. Morris,* Donal D.C. Bradley,* “Two-photon laser-written photoalignment layers for patterning liquid crystalline conjugated polymer orientation”, Advanced Functional Materials 31(7) 2007493 (2021).
2. Yuping Shi,* Paul N. Stavrinou, Bingjun Wang, Robert A. Taylor, Stephen M. Morris,* Donal D.C. Bradley,* "Fine-tuning the emission characteristics of liquid crystalline conjugated polymers using photoalignment", Submitted.
3. Xiuze Wang, Julian A. J. Fells, Yuping Shi, Taimoor Ali, Chris Welch, Georg H. Mehl, Timothy D. Wilkinson, Martin J. Booth, Stephen M. Morris, Steve J. Elston. "A compact full 2π flexoelectro-optic liquid crystal phase modulator", Advanced Materials Technologies, 2000589 (2020)
4. Haoran Zhang, Lingling Ma, Qian Zhang, Yuping Shi, Yueting Fang, Ruidong Xia, Wei Hu, Donal D. C. Bradley, “Azobenzene sulphonic dye photoalignment as a means to fabricate liquid crystalline conjugated polymer chain-orientation-based optical structures”, Advanced Optical Materials, 1901958 (2020).
5. Taimoor Ali, Jia-De Lin, Yuping Shi, Steve J. Elston, Stephen M. Morris, "Developing flexible liquid crystal defect mode lasers”, Proceedings of SPIE, 11303, Emerging Liquid Crystal Technologies XV, 113030Q (31 March 2020).
6. Liang Wang, Dongshan Wei, Shuai Kang, Xiong Xie, Yuping Shi, Shuangyi Liu, "Two-dimensional titania: structures and properties predicted by first principle calculation", Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 122, 40, 22911 (2018).
7. Yuping Shi, Limin Huang, Ai Kah Soh, George J Weng, Shuangyi Liu, Simon AT Redfern, "A scaling law for distinct electrocaloric cooling performance in low-dimensional organic, relaxor and anti-ferroelectrics", Scientific Reports, 7, 11111 (2017).
8. Yong Ni, Haitao Chen, Yuping Shi, Linhui He, Ai Kah Soh, "Modeling of polar nanoregions dynamics on the dielectric response of relaxors", Journal of Applied Physics, 113, 224104 (2013).
9. Yuping Shi, Ai Kah Soh, "Effects of volume evolution of static and dynamic polar nanoregions on the dielectric behavior of relaxors", Applied Physics Letters, 99, 092908 (2011).
10. Yuping Shi, Ai Kah Soh, "Modeling of enhanced electrocaloric effect above the Curie temperature in relaxor ferroelectrics", Acta Materialia, 59, 5574-5583 (2011).
11. Yuping Shi, Ai Kah Soh, George J. Weng, "Anisotropic mechanism on distinct transition modes of tip-activated multipolorizaion switching in epitaxial BiFeO3 films", Journal of Applied Physics, 109, 024102 (2011).
12. Yuping Shi, Liang Hong, Ai Kah Soh, George J. Weng, "Time-dependent three-dimensional domain reverse mechanism in nucleation, growth, and breakdown of ferroelectric films", Journal of Applied Physics, 107, 124114 (2010).
The prestigious Hong Kong Jockey Club Graduate Scholarship at the University of Oxford "Best Postgraduate Thesis Award", The University of Hong Kong (HKU) "Y S and Christabel Lung Postgraduate Scholarship", HKU.