Fees and Funding

Your Fees

Studying the MSc by research, fees are payable for up to six terms, with a minimum of three terms in residence. For the DPhil, fees are payable for up to nine terms, with a minimum of six terms in residence.

As well as your tuition fees, you should budget for various living costs including accommodation and meals. Use the fees calculator to calculate how much it will cost to study and live in Oxford.

Funded studentships

Home/EU students

The Department holds funding from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council to support around six research students per year.

There is no separate application form to apply for these awards, but competition is strong. It is unlikely that an award will be allocated to anyone who does not have a first-class honours degree, or equivalent.

Successful applicants who are EU residents will have their University and college fees paid but will not receive any maintenance stipend. An EU national who has studied for an undergraduate degree at a UK university during the three years leading up to the application is classed as a UK resident. All Home/EU applicants for the DPhil will automatically be considered for this funding. Find out more.

International students

The University of Oxford offers scholarships and funding for non-home/EU students. Click here for details, or go to your country page at the international section of the admissions website.

How will Brexit affect my application?

The University of Oxford is and intends to remain a thriving, cosmopolitan community of scholars and students united in our commitment to education and research. The UK referendum result will not change this; our students from all across the world are as warmly welcome as ever.

The University of Oxford has published a range of Q&As covering the sort of questions you might have about studying here in light of the result of the EU referendum. You'll find answers to many of your questions, as well as details on who to contact to find out more.

Financial aid

The University of Oxford offers forms kinds of financial aid which you may be eligible for.  Please note that you must apply for these yourself. The Department cannot do so on your behalf; it has no scholarships, bursaries or teaching assistantships and few other sources of aid beyond those mentioned above.