Byron is the Oxford Director for the Centre for Doctoral Training in Renewable Energy Marine Structures. There are currently 13 students from Oxford at the CDT, across 5 cohorts (7 complete, 6 on-course): P. Houlston (DEng), T. Joseph (DEng), S. Whyte (DEng); R. Mayall (DEng), I. Richards (DPhil), J. White (DPhil); T. Balaam (DPhil); E. Anderson, K.W. Wu; B. Chen, S. Martin, M. Qiu, L. Simonin. Byron is also a Co-Investigator for the Centre for Doctoral Training in Wind and Marine Energy Systems and Structures.
Over the years, he has lectured and taught widely across the Engineering Science course, and has won two University Teaching Awards, in 2009 and 2017.
Byron is currently supervising research of the following students:
- Mr Kuen-Wei Wu (Harris Manchester College / Ørsted). Rate effects for monopile foundations. Commenced 2017.
- Mrs Sarah Martin (Wolfson College / Ørsted). Cyclic loading of monopile foundations. Commenced 2018.
- Ms Bohan Chen (Wolfson College, Chinese Scholarship Council). Design of monopile foundations. Commenced 2018.
- Mr Mark Qiu (Wolfson College / REMS CDT EPSRC Studentship / Ørsted). Cyclic loading of monopile foundations. Commenced 2018.
- Mr Luc Simonin (St Catherine's College / Ørsted). Cyclic loading of monopile foundations. Commenced 2018.
- Mr Bryn Phillips (Harris Manchester College / Ward and Burke). To be confirmed. Commenced 2018.
- Mr Ioannis Kamas (St Catherine's College / Ørsted). Generalised methods for the development of 1D models of monopiles for monotonic lateral loading. Commenced 2019.
- Ms Kathy Wen (St Peter's College). A study of the non-linear stiffness response of soils for monopile design. Commenced 2019.
- Mr Sanjeev Malhotra (St Edmund Hall). Cyclic lateral load testing of miniature pile segments in sand and clay. Commenced 2019.
- Ms Rachel Keane (Brasenose College). Foundations for offshore wind structures. Commenced 2020.
Byron is currently supervising the following post-doctoral Research Assistants:
- Dr Fabian Schranz, Advanced Geotechnical Modelling, Ørsted Project
He has supervised the following students who have now completed their research:
- Dr Toby Balaam (Wolfson College). DPhil, 2020: Calibration of cyclic loading models for monopile foundations. Funded by REMS CDT EPSRC Studentship.
- Dr Russell Mayall (St Catherine's College). DEng, 2019: Foundation response to scour and scour protection. Funded by E.ON / HR Wallingford.
- Dr Iona Richards (St Peter's College). DPhil, 2019: Monopile foundations under complex cyclic lateral loading in sand. Funded by REMS CDT EPSRC Studentship.
- Dr Ronan Royston (St Catherine's College). DPhil, 2018: Design and performance of large diameter concrete caissons. Funded by Ward and Burke.
- Dr Stephen Suryasentana (Balliol College). DPhil, 2018: Time-critical design methods for suction caisson foundations. Funded by Ørsted.
- Dr Susannah Cooke (Brasenose College): DPhil, 2016: Enhanced array design for tidal power generation. Submitted. Funded by EPSRC (Supergen Marine).
- Ms Yiling He (St Cross College): MSc(R), 2016: Analysis of the parameterised soil reaction curve method for laterally loaded monopiles for offshore wind applications.
- Dr Christelle Abadie (St Catherine’s College): DPhil, 2015: Cyclic loading of monopile foundations in cohesionless soils. Funded by EDF Energy.
- Mr Yongwei Li (St Hugh’s College): MSc(R), 2015: Lateral buckling of offshore oil and gas on-bottom pipelines on sand.
- Dr Deqiong Kong (Lincoln College): DPhil, 2015: Large displacement numerical analysis of offshore pipe-soil interaction on clay. Funded by the Chinese Scholarship Committee.
- Mr Timothy Rose (St Cross College): MSc(R), 2014: Solid bulk shipping: Cargo shift, liquefaction and the transportable moisture limit.
- Dr Elizabeth Williams (New College): DPhil, 2014: Upheaval buckling of offshore pipelines buried in loose and liquefiable soils. Funded by the Clarendon Fund.
- Dr Laith Tapper (Worcester College): DPhil, 2013: Bearing capacity of perforated offshore foundations under combined loading. Research partially supported by Arup.
- Dr Richard Sandford (Oriel College): DPhil, 2012: Lateral buckling of high pressure / high temperature on-bottom pipelines. Funded by EPSRC CASE Award with Conoco Phillips.
- Dr Jens Schupp (Mansfield College): DPhil, 2009: Upheaval buckling and flotation of buried offshore pipelines. Funded by EPSRC CASE Award with Technip.
- Dr Oliver Cotter (Magdalen College): DPhil, 2009: The installation of suction caissons foundations for offshore renewable energy structures. Funded by EPSRC and Fugro Ltd.
- Dr Felipe Villalobos (Keble College): DPhil, 2006: Model testing of foundations for offshore wind turbines. Funded by DTI / Industry project on Suction Caissons.
He has also supervised a number of visitors to the Oxford research group including Dan Kallehave (DTU/Dong Energy, Graduate, 2012-2013), Dr Bin Zhu (Zhejiang University, Academic, 2009/10), Matt Hodder (UWA, Graduate, 2008), Christian Bakmar (Aalborg, Graduate, 2007), Stefania Galetti (Bologna, Undergraduate, 2006/07), Kar Lu Teh (NUS, Graduate, 2006), Marc Senders (UWA, Graduate, 2006), Britta Bienen (UWA, Graduate, 2005), Mattia Rovere (Ecole Centrale de Lille, Undergraduate, Politecnico di Milano, 2004).