Dr Jesus Lizana is a Marie Curie Fellow in the Energy and Power Group at the Engineering Science Department. His research interests are the cross-disciplinary challenges to support the transition towards low carbon climate-responsive buildings.
Lizana earned his PhD in low-carbon buildings at the University of Seville in Spain, after completing a BSc in Architecture and MSc in Building Engineering. He is the recipient of prestigious and extensive research fellowships and projects, which allowed him to consolidate his postdoctoral stage through a “Juan de la Cierva” Fellowship at the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC) and a Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (MSCA) at The University of Oxford, and address research stays at The University of Edinburgh, The Technical University of Munich and The University of Lisbon. Alongside his research career, it stands out his transfer capacity in industrial innovation, developing outstanding architecture projects in Spain, Morocco and Saudi Arabia.
Dr Jesus Lizana’ research is mostly concerned with addressing the cross-disciplinary challenges associated with transitioning towards low carbon climate-responsive buildings. Previous works are focused on thermal energy storage for building applications, advanced building simulation, energy flexibility, smart buildings, passive cooling, indoor air pollutants, low-carbon energy technologies and advanced construction systems.
At Oxford, Lizana is the leader of RESCOOL project, a H2020 Marie Curie Project focused on advanced building energy simulation to consider the thermal interactions with urban climate under climate change scenarios, aiming at supporting the climate-resilient design of cities under ever more frequent heatwaves. He is also working on enabling interdisciplinary collaboration in the Future of Cooling Programme of the Oxford Martin School.
• Lizana, J., Manteigas, V., Chacartegui, R., Lage, J., Becerra, J.A., Blondeau, P., Rato, R., Silva, F., Gamarra, A.R., Herrera, I., Gomes, M., Fernandez, A., Berthier, C., Gonçalves, K., Alexandre, J.L., Almeida-silva, M., Marta, S. (2021). A methodology to empower citizens towards a low-carbon economy. The potential of schools and sustainability indicators. Journal of Environmental Management 284, 112043. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2021.112043
• Lizana, J., Almeida, S. M., Serrano-Jiménez, A., Becerra, J. A., Gil-Báez, M., Barrios-Padura, A., & Chacartegui, R. (2020). Contribution of indoor microenvironments to the daily inhaled dose of air pollutants in children. The importance of bedrooms. Building and Environment, 107188. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2020.107188
• Serrano-Jiménez, A., Lizana, J., Molina-Huelva, M., & Barrios-Padura, Á. (2020). Indoor environmental quality in social housing with elderly occupants in Spain: Measurement results and retrofit opportunities. Journal of Building Engineering, 30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jobe.2020.101264
• Lizana, J., Bordin, C., & Rajabloo, T. (2020). Integration of solar latent heat storage towards optimal small-scale combined heat and power generation by Organic Rankine Cycle. Journal of Energy Storage, 29, 101367. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.est.2020.101367
• Terrados-Cepeda, F. J., & Lizana, J. (2020). Advanced lightweight steel floor towards high sound insulation and fire resistance. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2020.106023
• Lizana, J., De-Borja-Torrejon, M., Barrios-Padura, A., Auer, T., & Chacartegui, R. (2019). Passive cooling through phase change materials in buildings. A critical study of implementation alternatives. Applied Energy, 254, 1–17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.113658
• Becerra, J. A., Lizana, J., Gil-Baez, M., Barrios-Padura, A., Blondeau, P., & Chacartegui, R. (2019). Identification of potential indoor air pollutants in schools. Journal of Cleaner Production, 242.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.118420
• Serrano-Jiménez, A., Lizana, J., Molina-Huelva, M., Barrios-Padura, A. (2019). Decision-support method for profitable residential energy retrofitting based on energy-related occupant behaviour. Journal of Cleaner Production, 222, 622–632. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.03.089
• Lizana, J., Friedrich, D., Renaldi, R., & Chacartegui, R. (2018). Energy flexible building through smart demand-side management and latent heat storage. Applied Energy, 230, 471-485. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2018.08.065
• Lizana, J., Serrano-Jimenez, A., Ortiz, C., Becerra, J. A., & Chacartegui, R. (2018). Energy assessment method towards low-carbon energy schools. Energy, 159, 310–326. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2018.06.147
• Lizana, J., Chacartegui, R., Barrios-Padura, A., Valverde, J. M., & Ortiz, C. (2018). Identification of best available thermal energy storage compounds for low-to-moderate temperature storage applications in buildings. Materiales de Construcción, 68 (331), 1–35. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.3989/mc.2018.10517
• Lizana, J., Chacartegui, R., Barrios-Padura, A., & Ortiz, Carlos (2018). Advanced low-carbon energy measures based on thermal energy storage in buildings: A review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 82, 3705–3749. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2017.10.093
• Gamarra, A. R., Istrate, I. R., Herrera, I., Lago, C., Lizana, J., & Lechón, Y. (2018). Energy and water consumption and carbon footprint of school buildings in hot climate conditions. Results from life cycle assessment. Journal of Cleaner Production, 195, 1326–1337.
• Soltero, V., Chacartegui, R., Ortiz, C., Lizana, J., & Quirosa, G. (2018). Biomass District Heating Systems Based on Agriculture Residues. Applied Sciences, 8(4), 1–17. https://doi.org/10.3390/app8040476
• Lizana, J., Chacartegui, R., Barrios-Padura, A., & Valverde, J. M. (2017). Advances in thermal energy storage materials and their applications towards zero energy buildings: A critical review. Applied Energy, 203, 219–239. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.06.008
• Bonaventura, D., Chacartegui, R., Valverde, J. M., Becerra, J. A., Ortiz, C., & Lizana, J. (2017). Dry carbonate process for CO2 capture and storage: Integration with solar thermal power. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 82, 1796–1812. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2017.06.061
• Lizana, J., Ortiz, C., Soltero, V. M., & Chacartegui, R. (2017). District heating systems based on low-carbon energy technologies in Mediterranean areas. Energy, 120, 397–416. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2016.11.096
• Lizana, J., Barrios-Padura, Á., Molina-Huelva, M., & Chacartegui, R. (2016). Multi-criteria assessment for the effective decision management in residential energy retrofitting. Energy & Buildings, 129, 284–307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2016.07.043
Awards and Prizes
- 1st Prize for the best PhD Thesis GECAT 2020 of the Royal Spanish Society of Chemistry and the Royal Spanish Physical Society
- The 1st Young Prize for Scientific Culture 2018 in the field of experimental sciences
- The 1st International YEAR AWARD 2018 by the Young European Associated Researchers (YEAR)
- Four awards to the best scientific publications by different institutions.