Abdullah is an Elite Scholarship holder and MiSK Fellow reading for a DPhil in Engineering Science. His research focuses on how resource-rich economies can maintain an edge in a decarbonised world. Specifically, focusing on renewable energy capacity planning, stranded assets and innovative energy-sector business models.
Academically, Abdullah completed an MSc in Energy Systems at the University of Oxford as part of the first-generation cohort and BEng in Electrical Engineering at Glasgow C. University where he was named the Student of the Year in 2018.
Professionally, Abdullah’s experience extends across several multinational companies including Siemens, Huawei and Alstom. Most recently, he worked as a research intern for a $500 billion mega-project “NEOM”. Abdullah is currently sponsored by one of the largest funds in KSA where he oversees investment due diligence for businesses in the energy sector.
Outside of research, Abdullah is a tennis enthusiast, gym rat, avid traveller, and angel investor.
Awards and Prizes
• Student of the Year 2018 – Glasgow C. University
• MiSK Graduate Fellow
• Elite Graduate Scholarship holder 2019-2025
• Most distinguished research paper presentation 2018 – UWS 5th International Conference on Material Science & Smart Materials
• Net-zero Energy System Transition Strategies
• Innovative Energy Business Models
• Renewable Energy Sizing and Capacity Planning
• Stranded Assets
• Energy Policy and Governance
• Geopolitics of Energy
• Energy Economics
• Resource-rich Economies
• Systems Change