Alexander recieved his D.Phil fom the University of Oxford in 1995, having previously graduated BSc and MSc at the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology.
He is a Fellow of Trinity Collegeand a consultant for Rolls-Royce plc. He is the Chairman of the Science Advisory Committee, Diamond Light Source and an EPSRC college member.
Alexander is a member of the Research Infrastructure and International Strategic Advisory Team, EPSRC, and an editorial board member of the Journal of Strain Analysis.
- Fatigue and fracture
- Dislocations and other defects in solids
- Residual stresses and eigenstrain theory
- Surfaces, coatings, (nano)indentation
- (Synchrotron) X-ray methods (diffraction, imaging, spectroscopy)
- Novel advanced materials
- SAMULET – Residual stress analysis for new manufacturing processes (EPSRC, Rolls-Royce)
- New dimensions of engineering science at large facilities (EPSRC)
- CIPS – Centre of In situ Processing Science (Research Complex at Harwell, EPSRC)