Burcu Tasdemir obtained her BSc (2015) and MSc (2018) in Aerospace Engineering at the Department of Aerospace Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Turkey, discussing the thesis “Fatigue and Static Behavior of Curved Composite Laminates” rewarded as the best thesis of the year 2018.
In 2019 she joined as DPhil student at the University of Oxford, Solid Mechanics and Materials Engineering Group, where she conducts research on machine learning governed material models.
- Machine learning applied to the mechanical behavior of aerospace materials
- Damage mechanisms in curved composite laminates
- Fatigue and fracture of composite materials
- Experimental mechanics
- Computational mechanics
Data-driven materials engineering:
Machine learning governed models for complex loading paths
METU Thesis of the Year Award (2019)
1. Tasdemir B., Tagarielli V., and Pellegrino A., “A data-driven model of the yield and strain hardening response of commercially pure titanium in uniaxial stress”, Materials & Design, 229 (111878), 2023.
2. Tasdemir B., Pellegrino A., and Tagarielli V., “A strategy to formulate data-driven constitutive models from random multiaxial experiments”, Scientific Reports, 12 (22248), 2022.
3. Tasdemir B., and Coker D., “Fatigue and static damage in curved woven fabric carbon fiber reinforced polymer laminates”, Journal of Composite Materials, 56(11), 1693-1708, 2022.
4. Tasdemir B., Coker D., “Comparison of damage mechanisms in curved composite laminates under static and fatigue loading”, Composite Structures, 213, 190-203, 2019.
5. Tasdemir B., Coker D., “Damage progression in thick curved composite laminates under static and fatigue loading”, TORQUE 2018, The Science of Making Torque from Wind, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1037, 2018.
6. Uyar I., Tasdemir B., Coker D., “Role of laminate thickness on sequential dynamic delamination of curved [90/0] CFRP composite laminates”, Fracture, Fatigue, Failure and Damage Evolution Volume 8, Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Series, 43-48, 2017.
7. Topac, O., Tasdemir, B., Gozluklu, B., Gurses, E., Coker, D., “Experimental and computational investigation of out-of-plane low velocity impact behavior of CFRP composite plates”, Fracture, Fatigue, Failure and Damage Evolution Volume 8, Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Series, 9-16, 2016.
8. Tasdemir B., “Determination of stress intensity factor using digital image correlation method”, MATTER Undergraduate Research Journal Metallurgical and Materials Science and Engineering, 2(1), 20-24, 2015.