Dr. Guohua Zhao is a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the Solid Mechanics and Materials Engineering Group. His research combines the fields of aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, informatics and physical metallurgy under the realm of materials engineering. It primarily focusses on the development of a multi-physics and multi-scale computational framework to implement the transformation-induced toughening to engineering alloys for the aim of overcoming the strength-ductility trade-off.
Zhao joined the Department of Engineering Science, Oxford in February 2020. He is currently engaged in a research project funded by Rolls-Royce plc, which aims to investigate the mechanical characterises of lightweight aerospace alloys under extreme conditions. Before joining Oxford, Zhao worked as a PDRA at Lancaster University for DARE project funded by the EPSRC, where he is responsible to lead and deliver high value research work together with the industrial partners in designing and manufacturing high-performance energetic materials for resource efficiency. Zhao obtained his PhD in 2017 from KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden.
Grants and Awards
- Travel Scholarship, Funded by summer school on Deep Mechanics at Technische Universitat Dresden, Germany. (2019)
- Travel Scholarship, Funded by summer school on Computational Materials Science at Texas A&M University, USA. (2018)
- Research Scholarship, Stiftelsen Ingenjor Lorens Carlson, Sweden. (2017)
- Research Scholarship, Knut och Alice Wallenbergs Stiftelse “Jubileumsanslaget”, Sweden. (2017)
- Research Scholarship, STT Foundation for Applied Thermodynamics, Sweden. (2017)
- Research Scholarship, Stiftelsen Axel Hultgrens Fond, Sweden. (2016)
- Research Scholarship, Olle Erikssons Stiftelse for Materialteknik, Sweden. (2015)