Dr Perrott has a well-established research record in language and compliers for a wide variety of computer architectures ranging from sequential machines to supercomputers/parallel and distributed computers, software engineering and technology transfer.
For 6 years he was Chairman of the RCUK’s High Performance Computing Strategy Committee which advised the UK’s Research Councils on strategic issues and policy initiatives in HPC. He was member of the Informatics Committee set up by the UK’s Office of Science and Technology to scope the e-Science. He is currently Chair of the Barcelona Supercomputer Centre’s Scientific’s Advisory Board. In 1996 he was elected a Fellow of US ACM and in 2004 to the US IEEE for contributions towards the understanding of software for parallel computers. He was Editor of the Scientific Programming Journal for 21 years. In 2016 he received the ACM Distinguished Service Award for contributions to computer science and the computing community.
- Design and implementation of parallel programming languages and compilers
- Design, construction and analysis of algorithms
- High Performance Computing/Supercomputing
- e-Science or Grid/Cloud computing
- Software engineering
- Technology transfer.
- HEFCE Research Assessment Computer Science Panel - twice.
- HEFC Teaching Quality Assessment Exercise Member,
- Leader UK Government Research and Technology Delegations to the US (twice) and to China and Japan in High Performance Computing.
- Adviser/Expert to the US, EU, Australian, Norwegian, Swedish and Colombian Research Councils
- Chaired and been a member of EU Working Groups,
- Acted as Rapporteur to strategy committees as well as a technical reviewer/expert.