Dr. Sisini Sasidharan completed her undergraduate degree in Dentistry (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) in 2006 from Government Dental College Calicut, India. Following 12 months of resident internship (CRRI) at Dental College Calicut, she worked as a dental surgeon for a year at various private dental clinics in Calicut.
Sisini further pursued masters (M.Tech) in Nanomedical Science from Amrita Centre for Nanosciences and Molecular Medicine, Kochi, India. She carried out research in the field of organic, inorganic nanostructures for cancer diagnostic as well as therapeutic applications and graduated with a PhD degree in 2018 from the Department of Biosciences and Bioengineering, IIT Bombay, India.
In October 2019, she joined the Department of Engineering Science at Oxford as a postdoctoral researcher and her work focuses on understanding the mechanism of dental caries especially secondary caries using nanomaterials.
Sisini’s research interest involves creating nanomaterials with superior properties for medical applications including dentistry. In the past, her research work primarily aimed at the synthesis of complex organic as well as inorganic nanomaterials for diagnosis (fluorescent imaging, CT, MRI) and therapy (photothermal) of cancer.
Currently, her research predominantly focuses on the understanding of demineralization during tooth decay as well as the processes involved in its remineralization using microscopy, synchrotron and spectroscopic techniques. The use of nanostructures in the early detection and treatment of secondary caries is also of key interest.
• Sasidharan, S.; Poojari, R.; Bahadur, D.; Srivastava, R. Embelin Mediated Green Synthesis of Quasi-spherical and Star-shaped Plasmonic Nanostructures for Antibacterial Activity, Photothermal Therapy and Computed Tomographic Imaging. ACS Sustain. Chem. Eng. 2018, 6, 10562–10577. DOI: 10.1021/acssuschemeng.8b01894
• Sasidharan, S.; Bahadur, D.; Srivastava, R. Rapid, One-Pot, Protein-Mediated Green Synthesis of Gold Nanostars for Computed Tomographic Imaging and Photothermal Therapy of Cancer. ACS Sustain. Chem. Eng. 2017, 5, 10163–10175. DOI: 10.1021/acssuschemeng.7b02169
• Shanavas, A.; Sasidharan, S.; Bahadur, D.; Srivastava, R. Magnetic Core-Shell Hybrid Nanoparticles for Receptor Targeted Anti-Cancer Therapy and Magnetic Resonance Imaging. J. Colloid Interface Sci. 2017, 486, 112–120. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcis.2016.09.060
• Sasidharan, S.; Bahadur, D.; Srivastava, R. Albumin Stabilized Gold Nanostars: A biocompatible Nanoplatform for SERS, CT Imaging and Photothermal Therapy of Cancer. RSC Adv. 2016, 6, 84025–84034. DOI: 10.1039/C6RA11405A
• Sasidharan, S.; Bahadur, D.; Srivastava, R. Protein-Poly(amino Acid) Nanocore–shell Mediated Synthesis of Branched Gold Nanostructures for Computed Tomographic Imaging and Photothermal Therapy of Cancer. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2016, 8, 15889–15903. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.6b03428
• Sasidharan, S.; Bahadur, D.; Srivastava, R. Synthesis of Albumin Nanoparticles with a Natural Multi-Therapeutic Crosslinker - Embelin. Nanotechnology (IEEE-NANO), 2015 IEEE 15thInt. Conf. 2015, 1517–1520. DOI: 10.1109/NANO.2015.7388932
• Fazal, S.; Jayasree, A.; Sasidharan, S.; Koyakutty, M.; Nair, S. V; Menon, D. Green Synthesis of Anisotropic Gold Nanoparticles for Photothermal Therapy of Cancer. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2014, 6, 8080–8089. DOI: 10.1021/am500302t
• Sasidharan, S.; Jayasree, A.; Fazal, S.; Koyakutty, M.; Nair, S. V; Menon, D. Ambient Temperature Synthesis of Citrate Stabilized and Biofunctionalized, Fluorescent Calcium Fluoride Nanocrystals for Targeted Labeling of Cancer Cells. Biomater. Sci. 2013, 1, 294–305. DOI: 10.1039/C2BM00127F
• Endeavour Cheung Kong research leadership award by Government of Australia, March 2019.
• Dr. Gargi Vishnoi Memorial Prize for the most outstanding doctoral student, Department of Biosciences and Bioengineering, IIT Bombay 2018.
• Best poster award at IITB-NTU Symposium on Healthcare Technology, IIT Bombay, November 2016.
• Merit Award at Ohio State University - India Health Sciences and Innovation Conference and Trade show, January 2015.