Dr Yuan Xu obtained her PhD degree in civil engineering from Sichuan University in 2018, specialising in rock dynamics. Since then, she has been working here as a postdoctoral research associate in the Impact Engineering Laboratory.
She is currently engaged in the development of a high-speed loading system for characterising dynamic behaviours of advanced aerospace materials under extreme environmental conditions.
- Development of a novel Hopkinson bar system
- Rate dependent material characterisation
- Advanced loading for pressure and rate-dependent behaviours characterisation
- Numerical simulation of rate-dependent behaviours
- Development of new methods for fracture toughness testing
- CornerStone project at Oxford UTC, Rolls Royce, EPSRC, 2018-2022 This project focuses on the development of a novel Tension Torsion Split Hopkinson Bar apparatus conceived to achieve an arbitrary combination of tension and shear at high strain rates in a single loading event.
- Yuan Xu, Feng Dai. Dynamic response and failure mechanism of brittle rocks under combined compression-shear loading experiments. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering (2018) 51:747–764.
- Yuan Xu, Feng Dai, Tao Zhao, Nu-wen Xu, Yi Liu, Fracture Toughness Determination of Cracked Chevron Notched Brazilian Disc Rock Specimen via Griffith Energy Criterion Incorporating Realistic Fracture Profiles. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering (2016) 49: 3083–3093.
- Yuan Xu, Feng Dai, Nu-wen Xu, Tao Zhao. Numerical investigation of dynamic rock fracture toughness determination using a semi-circular bend specimen in split Hopkinson pressure bar testing. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering (2016) 49: 731-745.
- Yuan Xu, Feng Dai, Nu-wen Xu, Tao Zhao, Cheng Zhou. Discrete element simulation of dynamic semi-circular bend flexure tests of rocks using split Hopkinson pressure bar. Arabian Journal of Geosciences (2016) 9:543.
- Feng Dai, Yuan Xu, Tao Zhao, Nu-wen Xu, Yi Liu. Loading-rate-dependent progressive fracturing of cracked chevron notched Brazilian disc specimens in split Hopkinson pressure bar tests. International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences (2016) 88: 49–60.
- Hongbo Du, Feng Dai, Yuan Xu, Zelin Yan, Ming-dong Wei. Mechanical responses and failure mechanism of hydrostatically pressurized rocks under combined compression-shear impacting. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences (2019) DOI: 10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2019.105219.
- Hongbo Du, Feng Dai, Yuan Xu, Yi Liu, Hui-ning Xu. Numerical investigation on the dynamic strength and failure behavior of rocks under hydrostatic confinement in SHPB testing. International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences (2018) DOI: 10.1016/j.ijrmms.2018.05.008.