Dr. Miad Saberi holds a Ph.D. degree in the field of Geotechnical Engineering and computational geotechnics from Laval University, Canada. After his Ph.D., he worked in the geotechnical industry as a geotechnical engineer analyst and designer on a wide range of international large-scale projects involving tunnels, embankment dams, and lifelines.
Since 2020, Miad has been collaborating with the Civil Engineering Department of Laval University as an Adjunct Professor in the field of soil-structure interaction and numerical modeling, and he joined the Department of Engineering Science at the University of Oxford in February 2022.
He is currently working around the development of new design methods for the foundations of offshore renewable energy structures under monotonic and cyclic loading using theoretical and numerical methods.
Miad's area of expertise covers a range of geotechnical engineering interests such as constitutive modeling, finite element method, computational geotechnics, dynamic soil-structure interaction, and geotechnical earthquake engineering. His specialty area lies in:
- Development and implementation of soils and interfaces constitutive models in finite element codes
- Mechanics of soil-structure interface
- Soil-pile interaction
- Seismic behavior of buried pipelines
- Static and dynamic behavior of embankment dams
- Soil-tunnel interaction
A list of publications is available here.
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, B. Sheil "An efficient numerical approach for simulating soil-pipe interaction behaviour under cyclic loading", Elsevier, Computers and Geotechnics, Vol. 146, June 2022, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compgeo.2022.104666.
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, J. M. Konrad, "Three-dimensional Constitutive Model for Cyclic Behavior of Soil-Structure Interfaces", Elsevier, Soil Dynamics & Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 134, July 2020, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2020.106162
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, J. M. Konrad, "A Nonlinear Interface Model for Monotonic Shear Coupling in Granular Soil-Structure Interaction Problems", ICE Publishing, Géotechnique Letters, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 336-345, 2020
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, J. M. Konrad, "Seismic response analysis of face slabs in concrete face rockfill dams", Taylor & Francis, Journal of Earthquake Engineering, October 2019. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2019.1666756.
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, J. M. Konrad, "Implementation of a Soil-Structure Interface Constitutive Model for Application in Geo-Structures", Elsevier, Soil Dynamics & Earthquake Engineering. Vol.116, pp.714-731, 2019.
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, J. M. Konrad "Analysis of Face Slabs in Concrete-Faced Rockfill Dams under Earthquake Ground Motions", 12th Canadian Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Québec City, Canada, June 2019.
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, J. M. Konrad, "Numerical Analysis of Concrete Faced Rockfill Dams Considering the Effect of Face Slab-Cushion Layer Interaction", NRC Research Press, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol.55, No. 10, pp.1489-1501, 2018.
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, J. M. Konrad, "A Unified Constitutive Model for Simulating Stress-Path Dependency of Sandy and Gravelly Soil-Structure interfaces", Elsevier, International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, Vol. 102, pp. 1-13, 2018.
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, J. M. Konrad, "On the Mechanics and Modeling of Interfaces between Granular Soils and Structural Materials", Elsevier, Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering Vol.4, No.4, pp. 1562-1579, 2018.
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, J. M. Konrad, "Constitutive Modeling of Gravelly Soil-Structure Interface Considering Particle Breakage", ASCE, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 143, No.8, March 2017.
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, J. M. Konrad, A. Lashkari, "A two-Surface Plasticity Constitutive Model for Soil-Structure Interfaces", 6th International Conference on Engineering Mechanics and Materials, 2017 CSCE Annual Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, May 2017.
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, J. M. Konrad, "Particle Breakage and Constitutive Modeling of Granular Soil-Structure Interface", 6th International Conference on Engineering Mechanics and Materials, 2017 CSCE Annual Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, May 2017.
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, J. M. Konrad, "Numerical Simulation of Geo-structures using An Advanced Interface Constitutive Model", COLLOQUE 2017 DU CEISCE, Symposium of Centre for Interuniversity studies under extreme loads structures, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, May 2017.
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, J. M. Konrad, Lashkari. A, " A Critical State Two-Surface Plasticity Model for Gravelly Soil-Structure Interfaces under Monotonic and Cyclic Loading", Elsevier, Computers and Geotechnics, Vol. 80, pp. 71-82, 2016.
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, J. M. Konrad, "A New Constitutive Model for Gravel-Structure Interface: Development and Implementation", The 23rd Annual CEGSS Conference, Montreal, Canada, June 2016.
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, A. Lashkari, J. M. Konrad, "An Elasto-Plastic Constitutive Model for Monotonic and Cyclic Behavior of Gravel-Structure Interface", Engineering Mechanics Conference, EMI/PMC 2016, ASCE, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA, May 2016.
- M. Saberi, F. Behnamfar, M. Vafaeian "A Continuum Shell-Beam Finite Element Modeling of Buried Pipes with 90-Degree Elbow Subjected to Earthquake Excitations", International Journal of Engineering-Transactions C: Aspects, Vol.28, No. 3, pp. 338-349, 2015.
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, J. M. Konrad, "A new constitutive model for granular soil-structure interface under monotonic and cyclic loading", COLLOQUE 2015 DU CEISCE, Symposium of Centre for Interuniversity studies under extreme loads structures, Bromont, Québec, May 2015.
- M. Saberi, F. Behnamfar, M. Vafaeian, "A semi-analytical model for estimating seismic behavior of buried steel pipes at bend point under propagating waves", Springer, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol.11, No. 5, pp. 1373-1402, 2013.
- M. Saberi, C. D. Annan, J. M. Konrad, "Numerical Modeling Tools for the Analysis of Concrete-faced Rockfill Dams under Dynamic Earthquake Loading", 3rd Specialty Conference on Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, 2013 CSCE Annual Conference, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, May 2013.
- M. Saberi, H. Arabzadeh, A. Keshavarz, "Numerical analysis of buried pipelines with right angle elbow under wave propagation", Elsevier, Procedia Engineering, Vol. 11, pp. 3260-3267, 2011.
- M. Saberi, M. Vafaeian, F. Behnamfar, "Incident Wave Angle Effect on the Behaviour of Bent Embedded Pipe", International Review of Civil Engineering, Vol.2, No. 3, pp. 113-120, 2011.
- M. Saberi, A. M. Halabian, M. Vafaeian, "Numerical analysis of buried steel pipelines under earthquake excitations", 2011 Pan-Am CGS Geotechnical Conference, 14th Pan-American Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (PCSMGE), Toronto, Ontario, Canada, October 2011.
- M. Saberi, F. Behnamfar, M. Vafaeian, "Effect of incident wave angle on the behaviour of buried pipe with different elbow angles", CSCE 2011- Annual Conference - Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, June 2011.
- H. Arabzadeh, M. Zeinoddini, S. Kakasoltani, M. Saberi, "Subsoil contribution to dynamic behavior of offshore pipelines to impacts from dropped objects", The 30th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering (OMAE), Rotterdam, Netherlands, June 2011.