Viorica has obtained her PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences in 2015, at the University of Geneva. During her previous postdoctoral studies at University of Geneva (Biopharmaceutical Sciences, headed by Prof Borchard), she developed a unique research program based on her expertise on polymer chemistry acquired during her PhD work. This was complemented by the knowledge of biological and pharmaceutical aspects of the development of formulations for wound healing and protection against infection.
Currently, she moved to the University of Oxford, Engineering Science (PIs: Prof Cui and Prof Ye), working on antimicrobial skin bioprinting and regeneration.
Awards and Prizes
- 2021 - 2023: Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) Postdoc mobility grant (P400PM_194482) for 2 years
- 2022 - 2023: Special Research Promotion Fund by the President of Tokyo University of Science Grant for running the in vivo work for 1 year
- 2020: Second short-listed for Junior Assistant Professor at University of Saarland, Germany
- 2020: Seal of Excellence from Marie Curie Skladonowska
- 2019: Scholarship from Tokyo University of Science, Japan for Foreign Faculty Member Invitation Project
- 2019: Galenus Support Prize (Galenus-Privatstiftung), Austria
- 2018: Innovation (Innogap) Award, University of Geneva, Technologie 1037-A985 “Antibacterial dressing for improved wound care”
- 2018: Innogap Grant, University of Geneva, Technologie 1037-A985 for 1 year
- 2013: Research Grant funded by Sciex NMSch (project 12.191) for 1,5 years
Antimicrobial Bioprinted Skin Tissue Engineered Constructs for Wound Regeneration - project focused on skin bioprinting and regeneration.
- M. Riool, V. Patrulea, C. Monteiro. Antimicrobial Peptide–Polymer Conjugates, Pharmaceutics, 2022, 14(10), 2171.
- M. Leeflang; V. Ducret; V. Patrulea; L.E. Fratila-Apachitei; K. Perron; H. Ye; J. Zhou; I. Apachitei; A. Zadpoor. Preventing antibiotic-resistant infections: Additively manufactured porous titanium biofunctionalized with Ag and Fe nanoparticles, Int J Mol Sci, 2022, 23(21)13239.
- F. Marquet, F. Stojceski, G. Grasso, V. Patrulea, A. Danani, G. Borchard. Characterisation of the interaction of polymeric micelles with siRNA: a combined experimental and molecular dynamics study. Polymers, 2022, 14 (20), 4409.
- V. Patrulea*, B.-H. Gan, K. Perron, X. Cai, P. Abdel-Sayed, E. Sublet, V. Ducret, N. Porroche Nerhot, L. A. Applegate, G.Borchard, J.-L. Reymond, O. Jordan. Synergistic effects of antimicrobial peptide dendrimer-chitosan polymer conjugates against Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Carbohydr Polym, 2022, 280: 119025.
- F. Marquet, V. Patrulea, G. Borchard. Comparison of triblock copolymeric micelles based on α-and ε-poly (L-lysine): a Cornelian choice. Polymer J, 2022, 54:199–209.
- Y. Kawano, V. Patrulea§, E. Sublet, G. Borchard, T. Iyoda, R. Kageyama,A. Morita,S. Seino, H. Yoshida, Olivier Jordan, T. Hanawa. Wound healing promotion by hyaluronic acid: effect of molecular weight on gene expression and in vivo wound closure. Pharmaceuticals, 2021, 14(4), 301.
- V. Patrulea*, G. Borchard, O. Jordan. An update on antimicrobial peptides (AMPs) and their delivery strategies for wound infections. Pharmaceutics, 12:840.
- Y. Kawano, O. Jordan, T. Hanawa, G. Borchard, V. Patrulea*. Can the antimicrobial peptide dendrimers make the chronic wounds escape from ESKAPE? Journal of Adv Wound Care, Invited Critical Review, 2020, 9(7): 378-395.
- V. Patrulea, V. Ostafe, L.A. Applegate, O. Jordan, G. Borchard. Polyelectrolyte nanocomplexes based on chitosan derivatives for wound healing application. Eur J Pharm Biopharm, 2019, 140: 100-108.
- T. L. do Amaral Montanheiro, L. S. Montagna, V. Patrulea, O. Jordan, G. Borchard, R.G. Ribas, T.M. Bastos Campos, G. Patrocinio Thim, A.P. Lemes. Enhanced water uptake of PHBV scaffolds with functionalized cellulose nanocrystals, Polym Test, 2019, 106079.
- V. Patrulea, I. Younes, O. Jordan, G. Borchard, Chitosan-based systems for controlled delivery of antimicrobial peptides for biomedical application, in: (eds J. Sougata, J. Subrata), Functional Chitosan: Drug Delivery and Biomedical Applications, Ch. 14, Springer Singapore, 2019.
- T. L. do Amaral Montanheiro, L. S. Montagna; V. Patrulea, O. Jordan, G. Borchard, G. M. Monteiro Lobato, L. H. Catalani, A. P. Lemes. Evaluation of cellulose nanocrystals addition on morphology, mechanical property and cytotoxicity of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) scaffolds. J Mater Sci, 2019, 54(9):7198-7210.
- J. Panteleit, N.S. Keller, J. Makkonen, L. Martín-Torrijos, M. Pîrvu, V. Patrulea, C. Preda, J. Diéguez-Uribeondo, A. Schrimpf, L. Pârvulescu. Hidden sites in the distribution of the crayfish plague pathogen Aphanomyces astaci in Eastern Europe: Relicts of genetic groups from older outbreaks? J Invert Pathol, 2018, 157:117-124.
- G. Varan, V. Patrulea, G. Borchard, E. Bilensoy. Cellular Interaction and Tumoral Penetration Properties of Cyclodextrin Nanoparticles on 3D Breast Tumor Model. Nanomaterials, 2018, 8(2), E67.
- G. Grasso, M. A. Deriu, V. Patrulea, G. Borchard, M. Möller, A. Danani. Free energy landscape of siRNA-polycation complexation: Elucidating the effect of molecular geometry, polymer flexibility, and charge neutralization. PLoS One, 2017, 12(10):e0186816.
- V. Patrulea, N. Hirt, C. Scaletta, L. A. Applegate, V. Ostafe, G. Borchard, O. Jordan. RGDC peptide decorated chitosan derivatives enhance fibroblast adhesion and proliferation to promote wound healing. Carbohydr Polym, 2016, (142), 114-123.
- J. Poecheim, V. Patrulea, C. Reichert, G. Borchard. Characterization of pDNA-TMC nanoparticle interaction and stability. Curr Drug Deliv, 2015, (13), 301-308.
- V. Patrulea, V. Ostafe, G. Borchard, O. Jordan. Chitosan as a starting material for wound healing applications. Eur J Pharm Biopharm, 2015, (97), 417-426.
- V. Patrulea, L.A. Applegate, V. Ostafe, O. Jordan, G. Borchard. Optimized synthesis of O-carboxymethyl-N,N,N-trimethyl chitosan. Carbohydr Polym, 2015, (122), 46–52.
- A. Negrulescu, V. Patrulea, M. Mincea, C. Moraru, V. Ostafe. Development of an UPLC method for simultaneous determination of tartrazine, congo red and methyl orange. Studia Chemia, 2015, 4.
- A. Negrulescu, V. Patrulea, M. Mincea, C. Moraru, V. Ostafe. The adsorption of tartrazine, congo red and methyl orange on chitosan beads. Dig J Nanomat Biostruct, 2014, 9(1), 45 - 52.
- V. Patrulea, A. Negrulescu, M.M. Mincea, L.D. Pitulice, O. Bizerea Spiridon, V. Ostafe. Optimization of the removal of copper (II) ions from aqueous solution on chitosan and cross-linked chitosan beads, BioRes, 2013, 8(1), 1147-1165.
- M. Mincea, V. Patrulea§, A. Negrulescu, R. Szabo, V. Ostafe. Adsorption of three commercial dyes onto chitosan beads using spectrophotometric determination and a multivariate calibration method, J Water Res Protect, 2013, 5(4), 446-457.
- A. Negrulescu, V. Patrulea, M. Mincea, C. Ionaşcu, B. Vlad-Oros, V. Ostafe. Modification of the method for reducing sugars with dinitrosalicylic acid to microtiter plates and microwave heating, J Braz Chem Soc, 2012, 23(12), 2176-2182.
V. Patrulea, O. Jordan, G. Borchard, B.-H. Gan, J-L Reymond, Antimicrobial tailored chitosan. WO2020225255 (2020); US20220193244 (2022)