V. Patrulea has obtained her PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences in 2015 at University of Geneva, Switzerland.
Currently, she works as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow (funded by SNSF Grant, Swiss National Science Foundation) at University of Oxford, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, headed by Prof. Cui, on soft tissue regeneration.
During her previous postdoctoral studies (Biopharmaceutical Sciences, University of Geneva, headed by Prof. Borchard), she developed a research program based on her expertise on polymer chemistry acquired during her PhD work, and complemented by the knowledge of biological and pharmaceutical aspects of the development of formulations for wound healing and protection against infection.
Awards and Prizes
- 2020 Seal of Excellence from The Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
- 2019 Scholarship from Tokyo University of Science, Japan for Foreign Faculty Member Invitation Project
- 2019 Galenus Support Prize (Galenus-Privatstiftung), Austria
- 2018 Innovation (Innogap) Award, University of Geneva, Technologie 1037- A985 “Antibacterial dressing for improved wound care”
- V. Patrulea, O. Jordan, G. Borchard, B. Ha Gan, J-L Reymond, Antimicrobial tailored chitosan. PCT/EP2020/062433
- (Bio)-polymers/(bio)-polymer conjugates
- soft tissue engineering
- wound healing & infection
- antimicrobial resistance
- antimicrobial peptides (AMPs)
- antimicrobial agents
Soft tissue regeneration: based on biomaterials for the delivery of biological cues
- Y. Kawano, V. Patrulea, O. Jordan, G. Borchard, T. Iyoda, R. Kageyama, A. Murita, T. Hanawa. Wound healing promotion by hyaluronic acid: effect of molecular weight on gene expression and in vivo wound closure. Pharmaceuticals, 2021: 14(4), 301.
- V. Patrulea, V. Ostafe, L.A. Applegate, O. Jordan, G. Borchard. Polyelectrolyte nanocomplexes based on chitosan derivatives for wound healing application. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 2019, 140: 100-108.
- T. L. do Amaral Montanheiro, L. S. Montagna, V. Patrulea, O. Jordan, G. Borchard, R.G. Ribas, T.M. Bastos Campos, G. Patrocinio Thim, A.P. Lemes. Enhanced water uptake of PHBV scaffolds with functionalized cellulose nanocrystals, Polym Test, 2019, 106079.
- T. L. do Amaral Montanheiro, L. S. Montagna; V. Patrulea, O. Jordan, G. Borchard, G. M. Monteiro Lobato, L. H. Catalani, A. P. Lemes. Evaluation of cellulose nanocrystals addition on morphology, mechanical property and cytotoxicity of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) scaffolds. Journal of Material Sciences, 2019, 54(9):7198-7210.
- V. Patrulea, I. Younes, O. Jordan, G. Borchard, Chitosan-based systems for controlled delivery of antimicrobial peptides for biomedical application, in: (eds J. Sougata, J. Subrata), Functional Chitosan: Drug Delivery and Biomedical Applications, Ch. 14, Springer Singapore, 2019.
- J. Panteleit, N.S. Keller, J. Makkonen, L. Martín-Torrijos, M. Pîrvu, V. Patrulea, C. Preda, J. Diéguez-Uribeondo, A. Schrimpf, L. Pârvulescu. Hidden sites in the distribution of the crayfish plague pathogen Aphanomyces astaci in Eastern Europe: Relicts of genetic groups from older outbreaks? Journal of Invertebrate Pathology, 2018, 157:117-124
- G. Varan, V. Patrulea, G. Borchard, E. Bilensoy. Cellular Interaction and Tumoral Penetration Properties of Cyclodextrin Nanoparticles on 3D Breast Tumor Model. Nanomaterials, 2018, 8(2), E67.
V. Patrulea, L.A. Applegate, O. Jordan, G. Borchard. Nanocomplexes based on chitosan-peptide derivatives towards wound healing promotion. New Biotech, 2018, 44:S14
- G. Grasso, M. A. Deriu, V. Patrulea, G. Borchard, M. Möller, A. Danani. Free energy landscape of siRNA-polycation complexation: Elucidating the effect of molecular geometry, polymer flexibility, and charge neutralization. PLoS One, 2017, 12(10):e0186816.
- V. Patrulea, N. Hirt, C. Scaletta, L. A. Applegate, V. Ostafe, G. Borchard, O. Jordan. RGDC peptide decorated chitosan derivatives enhance fibroblast adhesion and proliferation to promote wound healing. Carbohydrate Polymers, 2016, (142), 114-123.
- J. Poecheim, V. Patrulea, C. Reichert, G. Borchard. Characterization of pDNA-TMC nanoparticle interaction and stability. Current Drug Delivery, 2015, (13), 301-308.
- V. Patrulea, L.A. Applegate, V. Ostafe, O. Jordan, G. Borchard. Optimized synthesis of O-carboxymethyl-N,N,N-trimethyl chitosan. Carbohydrate Polymers, 2015, (122), 46–52.
- A. Negrulescu, V. Patrulea, M. Mincea, C. Moraru, V. Ostafe. Development of an UPLC method for simultaneous determination of tartrazine, congo red and methyl orange. Studia Chemia, 2015, 4.
- A. Negrulescu, V. Patrulea, M. Mincea, C. Moraru, V. Ostafe. The adsorption of tartrazine, congo red and methyl orange on chitosan beads. Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, 2014, 9(1), 45 - 52.
- V. Patrulea, A. Negrulescu, M.M. Mincea, L.D. Pitulice, O. Bizerea Spiridon, V. Ostafe. Optimization of the removal of copper (II) ions from aqueous solution on chitosan and cross-linked chitosan beads, BioResources, 2013, 8(1), 1147-1165.
- M. Mincea, V. Patrulea, A. Negrulescu, R. Szabo, V. Ostafe. Adsorption of three commercial dyes onto chitosan beads using spectrophotometric determination and a multivariate calibration method, Jornal of Water Research and Protion, 2013, 5(4), 446-457.
- A. Negrulescu, V. Patrulea, M. Mincea, C. Ionaşcu, B. Vlad-Oros, V. Ostafe. Modification of the method for reducing sugars with dinitrosalicylic acid to microtiter plates and microwave heating, Journal of Brazilian Chemical Society, 2012, 23(12), 2176-2182.